Once

Juliet

[2]

◊ July 14th, 2019 ◊

As she typed away on her computer, humming a song underneath her breath, nothing could possibly ruin her day. Occasionally her typing would stop, only for her mind to catch on.

Juliet Rivera had always known what it meant to have a life at the apex. Born with a sharp brain, attractive features, and talents people can only wish for, her life never lacked the bells of success. All her life, she had been unstoppable. She won debates, math competitions, swimming races, and winning had become a form of normality. With her own gentleness and the push of her parent's constant pressure, she had been sculpted to be the quintessential daughter, brilliant, polite, and humble. She was sculpted to be the girl everyone praised.

Sat on her desk, her face was directly beneath the light as the sun's rays glowed into her house. Her blonde hair was pulled to the side, delicately braided down into a fishtail, softly glowing with the shine. Each strand moved likes waves with the wind that faintly blew through the window. Her eyes were twinkling, its blue orbs sparkling like the starry stars reflecting from the ocean. They held both glossy serenity and confident vivacity.

Leaning back, the side of her mouth curved into a small smile. There were small creases for dimples.

There was a knock at her door.

"Yes?" She turned around. At the sight of her sister, she drew a small smile.

"Here, mum told me to bring you some sliced apples," her sister walked in, the plate wobbling a little as her hips hit the doorknob. She hissed.

Juliet shook her head at her sister's usual clumsiness before adding, "Thank you! Alright?"

"I'm fine. Mum told me to tell you to work hard. Make sure everything is going along smoothly."

"Yeah, I know," she grinned, taking the plate of fruits. She was much taller than her little sister, even when they only had a three-year age gap. Exactly ten centimeters taller.

Her life was the embodiment of perfection. If nothing goes wrong, she will pass the SATs and write her applications. If nothing goes wrong, she and her boyfriend will both be applying to UA, the best university in the country.

She felt her phone vibrate.

"Harry!" She exclaimed, waving to the boy from her phone. She made sure to leave a bit of distance so the screen could catch her entire face. She had put on a bit of makeup in the morning when Harry texted that he'd facetime.

The boy grinned, "how's Juliet doing?"

"Your girlfriend is writing her application essay, and she desperately needs her boyfriend's help," she pouted. After the sentence spilled out of her mouth, she couldn't help but overthink her words. Why did she 'desperately'? That made her sound so clingy.

Harry merely laughed good-heartedly, "her boyfriend is more than happy to help. It depends on what kind of help she needs. Does she want the online, studious and boring type or the more passionate, hot, and adventurous type?" He winked.

"Harry!" She laughed, facepalming.

"Okay, okay, okay, sorry," Harry apologized perfunctorily, a smirk on his face.

Juliet shook her head. Her face was still red, "Seriously, though. How much have you written?"

"I've honestly finished," he told her. "Wait- Which other schools did you apply for? Except for UA, UC and UF."