Part I

 The back alley still smelled like garbage. The street light on the corner was on the fritz too, but I didn't need much light to drag the final sack of trash out the back door of the coffee shop and dump it in the pile on the curb. I could have followed my nose there. It just would have been nice not to worry I was going to stumble over an empty box or a stray soda can.

The dim bulb overhead struggled to life for a moment, flickering, letting me get my bearings after I dropped off the trash and covered my nose with my sleeve for a moment. Why had I ever asked for this shift? Late hours, rushing out of work and double-timing it to the bus stop to catch the last bus.

Ok, I admit it, I applied for the barista position because of the neighborhood, located right at the heart of where at least three K-pop companies had their training facilities and dormitories. I was a fangirl, in the worst way, risking my grades (and my nasal cavity)in the hopes of one day meeting one of those handsome, talented, dreamy idols.

There was a good chance my boss knew it too. As far as part-timers go, I was over-qualified for the job, and yet the shop wasn't close to my home or school at all. Probably wasn't the first time the shop owner had gotten a fangirl on the staff, and as a result, I took the long hours and trash duties.

But so far, not much luck. It didn't help that most people wore facemasks when they went out these days. They didn't spend as much time in Heavenly Coffee either, electing to take their warm drinks back to the office or out to the park.

The light overhead gave a half-hearted sizzle and went out completely. That was my cue. Time to go. I looked back down the alley and sighed. Not much stirring tonight. I jammed my hands into my coat pocket and circled around the shop, heading for the bus stop. I still had a little time, but not much. Plus I needed to study a bit for a biology exam on the bus ride.

And I'd left my book bag by the door. I turned and ran back, trying to unlock the door in the dark. Keying in the code. And again. WTH? Had the boss changed it?

I fumbled with my phone. Maybe more light would help. I didn't really have time for this. I'd have to run for the bus, and even then it wasn't likely I'd make it. Better to leave now, and return early to collect my bag before school.

But what was that? The sound of muffled voices from down the lane caught my attention. Whoever it was wasn't going to walk in my direction, not with the aroma of garbage night wafting through the air. So I stepped out, looking down the alley, and saw someone strolling off, headed away from me.

Maybe it was the fangirl in me, but I had a swift thump in my heart and I knew this was someone I had to get a better look at. Forget the bus. Forget the biology exam. This was why I had taken the job and spent weeks serving coffee.

I tip-toed after him. It was definitely a young man, his coat collar tipped up around his neck. He was tall and well built. Perhaps I should have been a little frightened, but I was starting to get an inkling of who it might be. One of the Just B boys. I knew they all lived in the neighborhood, even if I didn't know exactly where.

I hoped it was Lim Jimin, or maybe Bain. They were both tall. But wow, I'd be ecstatic to meet any of them. And of course, it might just be some random guy.

I took my time, staying far enough back that he wouldn't get the notion he was being followed, and I watched as he got to the far end of the street. He'd be going under a well-maintained street lamp, and I'd be able to see his hair at least. Not that that would make much of a difference, since most of the Just B members had a similar hair color. But I could get an idea from length and style.

He passed under the light and instinctively I ducked into a shadow, knowing he was going to look back over his shoulder, and oh, my god... it was Sangwoo. I could tell it was him, with his pale hair and unfathomable eyes.

Time seemed to stop as I held my breath there in the shadows. He scanned the darkness back in the alley like he was looking for something. As if he knew I was there. God, I hoped he was looking for something else, like one of the other members of the group coming to fetch him back. Nothing else was moving, and the strangeness of it got to me. I should just step out and reveal myself...

But before I could, he hiked his jacket up closer to his ears and strode off. Not towards the bus stop. This was my last chance to turn around and get back to my real-life responsibilities. I shrugged them off. What's the point of being a fangirl if you don't seize opportunities, right? I could still pass the bio test tomorrow even without studying.

I counted to five and then walked down to the entrance of the alley, where he'd been moments ago. He was sauntering down the street, pausing when he came to a major crossroad, like he was deciding which way to go. The light changed and he made a right.

This side of the street had a wider sidewalk, interspersed with trees and benches.

What was I doing? I didn't even have my bag, just my phone and the pad I took orders on at the coffee shop. And who was I kidding? I wasn't going to walk up to him. I was creeping along behind him, crossing the street illegally and hovering at building corners so he wouldn't see me. He had probably seen me by now, I was doing such a poor job of concealing myself.

About halfway down the long block, he started walking faster. Sensing someone lurking behind him, maybe? I decided to walk out in the open like I was just taking the really, really long way to the bus, which I had long since missed, and which wasn't in this direction. I watched him make another right-hand turn at the next street. There was a playground in that direction if I wasn't mistaken.

For  a moment I debated if I should take a shortcut through the buildings to arrive there at the same time he did from a different angle. And then what, whip out my little waitress pad and pen and ask, "Can I have your autograph?"

 He'd do it for me, I had no doubt. All the members of Just B were kind like that.