Sophie and Hermione share intimidation tips

Sophie

Sophie stepped into the large, empty room. It was clean enough, so she pulled a few daggers out, popped in her earbuds and began leaping and twirling, hitting every target she set without pause to the beat of her music. 

She had just embedded a dagger above the doorway when Hermione burst in. She let out a little squeak when she saw the dagger.

"You... you have a knife? What's that for?" Hermione said nervously.

Sophie pulled her earbuds out and put them away for later, then replied, "It's mostly just precaution. Grady is really overprotective and makes me carry them around in case of an attack. It's a really good way to get your stress out."

Hermione walked into the room, watching as Sophie collected her weapons, shoving them into various pockets. "I'm really sorry that Ron said that. He can be a bit stupid sometimes."

Sophie smiled warmly at that. "Really, it's okay. It was a perfectly normal question." Studying one of the blades, she continued, "The fire was sparked by one of the prisoners whose only talent was calling any kind of heat into becoming a flame that followed his will. 

I was there with the Council and one of my friends. Most of the people in the building got out alive, but one of the councillors.... his name was Kenric." she finished.

Hermione's eyes got misty for a second. "You've been through some hard things, then."

Sophie smiled again at the empathy the other girl was showing. "That's really just the tip of the iceberg. Come on over here and I'll teach you how to throw a dagger." Hermione eagerly trotted over to her and took one of the short, polished silver blades.

"So... do I just throw it?" she asked.

Sophie smiled for the third time that hour, replying with a "not quite." Then, Sophie demonstrated how to line up and throw a shot, and where to release. Hermione's first throw was a bit off, but within 15 minutes Hermione had hit every target Sophie assigned.

Beaming brightly, Hermione asked her, "Are there any other styles of weapon you could teach me?" Sophie smiled, and pulled out a goblin throwing star in response. Hermione was briefly surprised, then laughed at her own shock. "Who is this Grady person, a ninja?"

The teasing smile was contagious, and Sophie couldn't help laughing when she replied, "No. He's my adoptive father. He works at an animal sanctuary. Actually, part of why I'm so good at running and other physical exercise type things is my chores list. It's not easy making Verdi take a bath." 

Sophie shuddered playfully, then continued, "Sandor was my blade trainer. He made me spend hours polishing the throwing stars. He insists the blades are different weights, but I have no idea what he's talking about."

Sophie handed one of the stars to Hermione, then proceeded to demonstrate how to line up a throw. Hermione learned almost as quickly as Sophie had, and her aim was pretty much perfect. Sophie then had a very good idea.

Walking over to the wall, she took out a piece of chalk and drew a target an inch above her head, then stood under the drawing.

"Aim for the chalk," Sophie said.

Hermione's face twisted into a horrified expression. "What if I hit you?!" she said worriedly.

Sophie smiled, then reassured her, "You won't. I trust you. Your aim is perfect. Focus. You know I'm fast. You won't hit me if you don't aim for me." Sophie watched as Hermione lined up the shot, staring at the dot on the wall. 

The throwing star flew, embedding itself in the center of the dot, safely above Sophie's head. Smiling, she pushed off the wall, then got immediately tackled in a hug by Hermione.

"I was so nervous, but I did it! Please don't do that again, though, you had me very worried." Hermione turned suddenly, looking towards the doorway. 

 Sophie followed her gaze, then paused when she saw Harry and Ron's horrified faces looking at the two of them, then the daggers and throwing stars still embedded in the walls.

Harry

Harry looked into the room in horror. There were blades embedded in every wall. Hermione and Sophie looked okay, though.

Sophie shifted uncomfortably, then said, "Sirius said it was okay to train with blades in here."

Ron's face twisted in bafflement. "Training?"

Hermione's eyes were sparkling with delight. "Sophie's been teaching me how to throw daggers and throwing stars," she explained. "We're both really good!"

Harry let out an exhale. "How did you learn how to do that?" he asked, looking at the chalk circles that each had a weapon embedded into the center of the target.

Sophie smiled at him and Ron, then explained, "My adoptive dad is REALLY overprotective. He makes me carry and train with pretty much every kind of weapon. 

I wouldn't actually use them, but they're a fun hobby for blowing off steam." 

Turning to Hermione, she continued, "You can go with Harry and Ron to the dining room. I'll clean up here then come meet you all there for lunch."

Turning away from them, she began to slip the sharp implements from the walls into various pockets. Hermione followed them down the stairs, humming to herself slightly. Harry almost ran into Sirius, who was about to head up the stairs.

"Harry! I was just about to call you down for lunch! Where's Sophie?" Sirius asked.

"She's cleaning up in that room she's been practicing blades in," Harry explained. "Did you really tell her it was okay to throw daggers at the walls?"

Sirius let out a laugh of delight. "Of course! I hate that room, and it's nice to see somebody finally getting to shred it." Harry knew he shouldn't even bother being surprised. Sirius didn't really care about the mansion.

Hermione smiled at his godfather, then said, "Sophie's really good at teaching! She could show you how to throw daggers!"

Sirius looked interested in the idea for a second, then turned and led them into the dining room. Mrs. Weasley was bustling around in the room, bringing plates of sandwiches and soup tureens into the large room, placing them on the table carefully. "Lunch is almost ready, dear, so go ahead and wash up!"

Harry walked into the kitchen and ran his hands under the sink. Something didn't add up with Sophie's statement. If her carrying weapons other than her wand was because of an overprotective dad, why did she have so many? 

Harry idly thought that maybe that was a good thing. If she had weapons, she would be able to defend herself from Voldemort and the Death Eaters. Even if they took her wand, she would still be armed and ready. Harry let his mind wander as he sat down at the table, thinking about what he thought would be Voldemort's next move.

I find this chapter somewhat decent. Also, this may have some earlier chapters on Scratch (dont ask) but anyways if you see it on there as long as it's not the full version it's not stolen :D.