Chapter 30

"Mr. Romantic boy, Lukas." The emcee said in full effort.

A caretaker pushed his wheelchair toward me. The man on it handed me the red rose. I took it with a wide smile on my face. Hinawakan ko ang isa niyang kamay para alalayan sa pagtayo. He can stand, but he can't balance his body well.

Lukas suffers from autism spectrum disorder. He had gone through the toughest years of his life, but he's happy right now.

When the sweet song started playing, I guided him in the rhythm of the music. Sa halip na siya ang humawak sa bewang ko ay ako ang nakayakap sa kaniya para hindi siya mahulog sa damuhan. Hindi siya makatingin ng diretso sa akin. Kung hindi sa kaliwa ay sa kanan ang mata. It is one of the common symptoms of ASD, not being able to do eye contact.

The next dance is with Damien, he's deaf, but he can speak. "Ang ganda mo," he uttered in a shy voice. He might not be able to hear how beautiful the song is right now, but his eyes say that he's in full bliss.

I got also the chance to dance with John, a visually impaired eighteen-year-old boy who never experienced a JS prom back when he was still in school. He can't see me, so I need to tell him how beautiful I am.

"Do you know what I look like?" I asked, to which he gave me a nod in a response.

"I'm tall as you are. I have fair skin, brown, wavy hair, chocolate eyes, red lips and a beautiful nose just like yours," saad ko. "Ang ganda ko, 'noh?"

He chuckled and nodded. I hope he can see how wonderful he is too, but since he can not, I have to describe him. It was my pleasure.

"Hi, Dan. You look good today," I complimented him. Humiwalay saglit ang kamay niya sa akin. He said thank you using his hands. He said I'm beautiful too. There's no voice, but the look on his face shows sincerity.

Sa ilang taon kong pamamalagi dito, I have learned their language. They can't talk, but they express themselves well.

After Dan comes Kian, a beautiful human with one leg. After Kian is Garry, a boy who suffers from CHD like me. After Garry is Liam, a kind man with no hands, but will offer you his shoulder if you need one.

Twenty-four songs, twenty-four roses with these amazing people I have been with for the past five years. They aren't perfect, but they have a huge part in who I am right now.

People who have known me five years ago will never recognize me now. Although I'm still Leigh who's childish on some days, I am not the little monster anymore. Sapat na siguro ang ilang taon kong pagiging makasarili.

Marami akong maling nagawa noon. I said a lot of things I should've not said. Siguro, isa sa mga pinakamalaking kasalanan ko ay ang pangungutya sa mga mahihirap. I was insecure because I felt like I was suffering more. They've been dealing financial problem, samantalang ako, sarili kong puso ang kalaban.

I reflected on all the wrongdoings I made. I acknowledged them. Because only after you recognized that you were wrong, you can grow.

I want to spend the rest of my life in good. I don't know if it's the time that changed me or if it's my perspective that changed.

While most of my batchmates proceeded with their journey as college students, I spent my years at Bahay Kalinga. Here, hundreds of people with disabilities live. My days were well spent doing charity work around the province, donating to orphanages, and sponsoring advocacy programs for people living in marginalized sectors.

I have given up most of my luxuries: my clothes, my shoes, my pieces of jewelry. Everything aside from some of my bags that I can not let go of because of sentimental value. To be honest, I just used that excuse so I can keep them.