Chapter Thirty-Eight

My body sits slumped against the wall of the ship as we leave the port. Small puffs of steam escape my wounds as they heal. Jean stands facing away from me, staring back at the port. Marco clings to his leg for dear life. A small smile rises to my face. 

Mikasa kneels down in front of me and I roll my head to the side to look at her. My body is so weak right now, moving feels like a chore.

"Good to see you're awake." She comments as she hands me some water.

I nod and take it. My lips are dry and parched. Jean turns his head to look over his shoulder, there is relief in his eyes. Carefully he picks up Marco before approaching me. Our son wriggles in Jean's hold, wanting to be free.

"Mommy!" He cries.

I look down at my body, no major damage but this isn't the best condition for him to see me in. Most of my hand has regenerated. Jean crouches down in front of me, Marco lands a hard hit on his chest before breaking free. He jumps on me, burying his face into my stomach. The sounds of his sobs are loud even though they are muffled by my shirt.

I brush my good hand over his hair. "Everything is okay, Marco. Mommy is fine, will be fine."

His head emerges from my stomach. "They blew you up." He sniffles.

A smile comes to my face. "I know. It must have been scary for you to see that but I'm okay."

Jean places his hand over mine. "It's not over yet."

A loud explosion comes from the port and a cloud of black rises into the sky. My eyes grow wide as I watch it. What was that? I keep Marco facing me as I look at Jean in shock.

"Theo." The words fall from his mouth.

"We left someone behind?" I ask.

"He wanted to and I guess he had a plan."

"Killing yourself isn't a plan." I hiss.

Pieck walks out and looks out over the harbour towards the port where the black smoke continues to rise into the sky. "He sacrificed himself for us so we can end this."

I stare up at her. There is grief sunken into her face. She slowly looks away and down at me, a small smile graces her face.

"You look like you're in better condition." She comments. 

"Thanks to Reiner. He saved me." I say. A small laugh comes from me. "Never thought I'd say that again. Is he okay? What about Annie?"

"They are doing fine. Healing well. We should start considering our next move though." 

"Good to hear. It's probably best for Marco to stay out of this from now on. I need him someplace where he will be safe."

"I'm sure Gabi and Falco will be good company for him," Pieck comments as she kneels beside us. "Marco, do you want to come with me?" She asks him softly.

He shakes his head and tightens his grip on me. Stubborn like his father and me. I gently tilt his face up to look at mine.

"I will be fine. I need you to go with Pieck for now. I need to rest so I can help daddy, okay?" 

His eyes move from me and over to Pieck and then to Jean. Jean gives him a wink in response. 

"I love you, mommy." His bottom lip wobbles as he takes my hand.

"I love you too Marco. Be good for Gabi and Falco, make sure they stay out of trouble."

He nods as he lets go of me and moves to Pieck. He takes her hand before she leads him away. Mikasa follows after them, giving Jean and I some space.