18.

Killua

With our remaining time left, both of us are preparing for our own tests. Gon is getting ready for his interview, and I'm studying for my exams. I checked my phone on the way out and got a good luck text message as the first message I saw.

And today is our day.

On the same night, we celebrated after we finished the exam, as what you would call, 'hell'. Jason rose his cup. "It's about time y'all! We've passed the first hell! We'll graduate in no time." All the classmates that were on the same table laughed uncontrollably. "How are you certain you're gonna graduate? You do realize you're the dumbest one among us, right?"

He stood up and laughed, you might say, like santa claus. "Hoho! Well, I had a special trick up my sleeve on the test today." They all wondered and murmured across the table. "Really? What kind?" I would know the answer to that really. "It's a secre-"

"He cheated." I grabbed and him and motioned to lower down his sleeves. "He spent all morning writing a cheat sheet on his arm." One of the classmates asked me to lower it down. "You pathetic cheater. You better treat us today."

"I don't have money- have mercy!" He pleaded.

In the back of my head, I was hoping for a vibrate or notification on my phone.

It's already 8:30 pm and there's no reply at all from Gon. He didn't even read it.

How did his interview go? Did he get accepted? But if it went well, why won't he answer me? Don't tell me..

My thoughts were interrupted by Jason holding my shoulders and shouting at me. "Killua! You vicious jerk, my great tactical mind is now exposed!" I rolled my eyes out of oblivious-ness. "Tactical mind my ass, you wrote it down in the open. I'm sure many people saw that."

"Seriously?" He drooped down back to his chair. I tapped his shoulder to ask another question. "Hey, by the way.. are you still taking to Gon?" He paused from having a conversation with the other classmates and turned to me. "Of course! I just texted him today."

"Really? What time?" He put his hand on his chin. "When we were done with our exam earlier, why?" He replied to Jason's text. He continued to talk. "Well, you know, I texted him for..."

"Boo!" I heard a familiar voice and also felt a strong tap at my back. I turned to see the typical green haired, tan-skinned guy. "Gon?! What are you doing here?" He smiled bright. "Jason asked me to come here."

"Yeppers, I did!" Gon faced him and asked him if the exam went well. "I managed to get away with cheatin-" He elbowed Jason's head. "You still haven't changed one bit, what're you so proud for?"

One of the male classmates patted Gon's shoulder. "Hey Gon! It's been awhile, I thought you died in a ditch somewhere!" He giggled. "Oh hey, Ray! Well, you know how busy I am these days."

"Gooooon!" Another classmate went to him, this time it was a girl. "Heya, Rose! What are you so gloomy for? Exam?" She put her head on his chest. "Yeah, I didn't do very well, I should've asked for your help!" She gleefully hold out her arms and hugged Gon. "Cheer me up!"

I stared at them not knowing the drink I was drinking was flowing out of my mouth. I annoyingly turned my head the other way. My heart was throbbing so much, I somehow... hated that. Why am I feeling this way..?

Is it because he didn't answer my texts, while I was waiting for his interview results all day? And he just popped up here out of nowhere, and acted like nothing's wrong? And then, now he...

I turned back at them and saw Gon playfully punching the girl's head. "Gon, tutor me for the next exam, please~!" Jason smirked and shaped his hand like a gun. "Get your scheming ass away from him, Rose. Gon! It's better if you pass down your knowledge to someone else more deserving right here!" He pointed at himself.

Rose laughed out loud. "Get lost, Jason!" Gon also joined in and laughed with them. "I'll think about it later, but I'm telling you now, it won't be cheap."

I just stood there, more angry than annoyed. I backed away from my chair. "Hey, where you goin'?" Ray asked me. "I'm.. gonna get some fresh air."

I went outside and put my hand, rubbing my temples. Why should I get mad? If he wants to teach others, or doesn't want to reply to my texts, it's none of my business.

I recalled that.. moment. But why do I feel so uncomfortable?

I shut my eyes tightly, not finding an answer to my own question. I heard a familiar voice coming out and shouting for my name. "Killua!" I backed away. "Gon?! What are you doing here? Get back inside, it's cold."

"What are you doing outside by yourself?" I hesitated to speak. "...J-just wanted to get some fresh air." He made a thumbs up and smiled with glee. "Well, me too! And by the way, the interview went well, and I got accepted!" I turned to him surprised, not realizing I was about to shout. "Then why didn't you tell me earlier?! You didn't even answer my texts! Did it ever cross your mind that I'd probably get worried?!"

He turned to smiling sheepishly. "Hehe, sorry! I wanted to tell you myself, that's why I tried to ignore your text." It turns out I was worried about nothing. I sighed. "You really... have you told anyone else?"

He went and stood beside me. "Not yet, I wanted you to be the first one to hear about this!" My cheeks went to light pink, thinking about just that sentence. "Y-yeah, congrats." I glanced at him and saw him looking at the starry night. "And also, sorry if I offended you that one time, telling you out of nowhere that I couldn't tutor you anymore, until you even assumed that I didn't wanna tutor you. I'm actually so happy that I could get to know you better! Do you remember where the time my aunt forced me to come home because she thinks I can't take care of myself?" He faced to me.

"Yeah..." I answered. "Well, since I got a job now, I got her trust back and it really made my day!" He held out a big, beautiful smile, nothing I ever saw back then.

His smile this time really is the brightest one I've seen. I'm happy I get to see him like this, and because he chose to share it first with me. I feel like I want to keep that smile with me forever, I want to continue being the cause of his happiness.

Although I'm not sure why I keep thinking about him this way... is it because he's like a kid, making me see like my little brother? It could be.. right?