Chapter 4: Fight Or Flight

"Hey Y/N, it's Maki. Could I trouble you to cover my shift this afternoon? I have some personal matters to deal with. Let me know asap, yeah!"

My eyes groggily skimmed through the text message on a Saturday morning. Nothing is worse than having to cover up your coworker's shift despite having plans. Still, I couldn't bring myself to reject my senior's request. I was supposed to meet my classmates for a bowling session but after weighing the importance of both, I'd rather make use of my time earning money.

"Yeah sure. Don't worry about it," I replied and switched over to Telegram to inform the group chat.

Didn't even bother to look at the bombarding messages that came a few seconds after. My eyes glided to the clock affixed to the wall before me.

It was 11 in the morning and I had just missed breakfast, not that I was concerned, but my stomach was howling in hunger and begging to be replenished.

Just then a knock came followed by the creaking sound of the door open.

'And here comes the goody two shoes.'

"Y/N, you're awake. I saved breakfast for you, here you go." my brother placed a plate of sandwich on the small table next to my bed. "You haven't been eating proper food in days. Are you okay? Is school stressing you out? Work?"

"This house is," I mumbled out of his hearing range.

"Come again?"

I gazed down at the sandwich before me, blinking in disappointment and apathy. The cold and stale bread staring back at me and mirroring my very expression.

"Didn't mother tell you not to skip your meals?" I spoke. "You can have your portion back, I don't need it."

When I was about to head to the shower, Shion abruptly grabbed my wrist.

"Why do you hate me so much? I'm always trying my best to be a better brother for you-"

"Maybe your best isn't enough," I retorted, silencing him immediately.

"What's the point of giving me all that when you never once stood up for me? You let mother and father smear my name and then put up a pretence in front of me to show how 'saintly' you are. I don't need your hypocritical ass around me."

"You know how they are... My words don't hold any power but my actions towards you do. Believe me, I want to be the best for you,"

I scoffed, "You are as fatalistic as ever and that's why you're no different from those government dogs that don't have a conscience of their own." I tugged my wrist out from his grasp and left without even looking back.

________________

The Taiyaki truck just a few streets away from my house became an alternative to my convenience store food. It wasn't exactly a meal but at least it could last me till the end of my shift. I made a detour to grab some Taiyakis on the way to work and as I passed by an electronic store, a particular news flashed onto the tv caught my attention.

"Three masked robbers made their escape last night after robbing X bank; police release photos of suspects"

CCTV footage of three men in plague masks was displayed on the screen as I leisurely paced past the store window, glancing through it before walking away to get my food.

As soon as I arrived, the uncle greeted me with a wide smile and sparkly eyes. "Haven't seen you in a while, y/n!"

A constrained chuckle elicited from my lips, "I've been busy." More like I opted for microwave meals with high level preservatives instead.