Chapter 12 - Final Conflict

Stacey pulled the curtains on the outside world as it grew dark, knowing just how much she would miss this place when she left. She loved her flat. It was in the best position, had the most beautiful view, and a lot of her time recently had been spent just aimlessly gazing out to sea. It had a calming effect on her, and the times when she'd felt particularly down, she'd taken to walking along the headland to a secluded spot she'd found in the rocky cliff face, where she could sit alone and think. She could spend hours there, sometimes completely entranced by the sound and motion of the sea, mesmerised by the vast distance of nothingness, curiously wondering about what secrets may lie deep beneath the waves.

It was like a drug - a form of escapism that gave her that free feeling, devoid of emotion for the time it held her in its spell, and the moment it was gone, she crashed back to reality, and had begun to wonder if the trips to her spot were really a good idea, as she'd come to understand how easy it could be for someone, who'd given up on life, to just throw themselves over the edge to end it all, and rid themselves of their problems forever.

Walking away from the window, Stacey felt a strange kind of sadness come over her. Why was she feeling like this when she should be so happy? Wasn't this the best thing that could have happened to her? Her whole life was about to change direction.

Lee hadn't been able to see Stacey at all since they'd made their plans, but he'd called her every night. He was happy with the way things were going. Everyone had been cooperative – even the vicar, who, after hearing their story, wanted to help them all he could. He agreed that a simple private ceremony would be the best in their circumstances. And after giving them a short lecture on love, marriage, and the rearing of good healthy Christian children, he found a place to marry them in just two weeks time.

Claire was in her seventh heaven and raced around ordering flowers, dresses and rings. She arranged her bridesmaids, and found a nice little restaurant to hold the reception in, and booked a room at the Park Hyatt for their wedding night, seeing as they couldn't afford to go away. You name it - she had done it. Quickly, efficiently and yet on the small budget they had.

Lee was spending all his time round at Bob's, having told Claire that he'd taken on double shifts for the next two weeks to earn extra cash, so he'd be working virtually non stop up until the wedding. At first, she hadn't been too pleased about that as they hadn't spent any time alone since they'd got back together – let alone slept together – but felt, in the long run, he was doing it for her – for them, and if they stayed apart for the next two weeks, it'd make their wedding night even more special.

Stacey, meanwhile, just had to carry on and wait for the day to arrive. She worked as usual during the day and waited in at night for his calls. She felt the occasional stab of guilt for what they were about to do but pushed it to the back of her mind preferring to ignore it.

Tonight was Lee's buck's night, and Claire had opted for a kitchen tea cum baby shower at home.

Stacey, to keep herself occupied, had set the evening aside to put her plans into motion, and had invited Katie over for a talk, having decided to use 'John' as the reason she was going away.

Noticing the time, she began to clear up. She'd spent the whole day clearing out her cupboards and couldn't believe the junk she'd gathered in the short time she'd been there.

Sat in front of her on the bedroom floor was a pile of things she planned to take with her and an even bigger pile for the bin. The rest of the stuff that was too big or heavy at this stage, she'd leave for her parents to pick up once she'd gone. She'd have to ring them to let them know what had happened – the next daunting thought. Her stomach turned with nervous tension as the next worry entered her head. What was she going to tell her parents? She couldn't possibly tell them the truth - they'd go crazy. Especially after the dramas they'd had with her wanting to leave home in the first place. They'd bought her that flat in Coogee so she could be close to work and friends, and now she was upping and offing at the drop of a hat to go away with a guy she knew they most certainly wouldn't approve of. It was a nightmare, and the only thing that made her feel any better about it was the fact that they'd easily rent the flat out.