This Is The End: Part 1

As Daphne methodically walked back toward Slytherin she realized she only had an hour until curfew and cursed internally. When she and Harry had agreed there would be no breaking of rules leading up to the big day it had all seemed so rational...so logical. But now she really needed to talk to him. She had come up with two options to convince Harry of the importance of fighting for his life and Option One couldn't be rushed. It needed to be private and it couldn't be rushed.

She was jostled out of her thoughts as she felt the coin warm in her pocket. With reflexes rivaling a Seeker she pulled out the coin and read the message.

I've been summoned to the Headmaster's office.

Sod Dumbledore and his truly horrific timing. She clamped down on the emotions flaring up and sent back the best message of encouragement she could muster.

He won't know what hit him. Just keep your head. No getting angry.

She continued walking back to the Slytherin common room, all thoughts of seeing Harry that evening now replaced by the fear that Dumbledore had sorted out something was going on.

Sixty minutes later she received an update.

Everything is fine. I'll see you tomorrow. Breakfast in the kitchen? 8?

She paused to consider her options: Risk meeting Harry tonight and follow through with Option One or wait until tomorrow with Option Two. As she thought about Harry and what had made them such a good team the answer became obvious. She quickly tapped out her message.

Yes. I can't wait. Good night.

Her coin warmed once again and her mind stopped as she read the reply.

Good night Daph. I love you. I should have said it the other night.

She closed her eyes and absorbed what he had said before replying.

Don't send any more messages tonight unless it's urgent. I don't want to lose your last one.

She smiled and tapped out her final message. The one she wanted him to keep. It was still stunning to her that she would be saying this to anyone, let alone Harry Potter.

I love you too, Harry. So much.

Daphne arrived in the kitchens precisely fifteen minutes early desperate to see Harry again. To her relief he had already arrived as well. He was leaning down and speaking calmly to Dobby.

Dobby spotted her and smiled nervously. "Dobby will get breakfast for great Miss Greeny," he said reverently before scampering to prepare her food.

"How does it feel to join Dobby's club of greatness?" Harry joked as she sat beside him.

"Like I'm a massive fraud," she answered honestly.

"Well if it's any consolation as the founding member of the club that feeling never goes away," he replied earnestly. Daphne was struck by how peaceful he seemed, reminding her of how he acted after the Horcrux revelation.

"You really scared me last night with your message. What did the headmaster want? Does he suspect something?" she asked quickly, knowing their other conversation couldn't take place with so many house elves around.

"The good news is he hasn't got a clue what you and I are up to," Harry said quietly. "The bad news is he was concerned by my secrecy the other day that your family was trying to talk me into a betrothal agreement. I wasn't sure whether I should be relieved or insulted that it never entered his mind we may be up to something behind his back. I convinced him that your parents were only concerned for my security and safety."

Daphne chuckled. "I wonder what group he has my family in," she mused.

"Group?"

"My father says that Dumbledore assumes the best of bad people and the worst of good people. I'm wondering which group we fall under."

"He puts you in the good group for sure, " Harry answered. "He never mentioned any concerns that you are doing Voldemort's bidding and he seemed quite fond of you actually once I convinced him that you weren't trying to trick me into marriage."

"Really?" she said disbelievingly.

"Yeah. He said you made for an excellent sparring partner and it was good that I had people looking out for me."

As Dobby delivered her food Harry leaned closer, speaking in a whisper. "He asked about the basilisk too."

"What did you say?" she asked worriedly.

"I lied through my teeth and said I had no idea where your father had obtained it," he said, laughing at the memory. "I really wanted to tell him the truth but I was worried he'd figure out Dobby and Winky had helped."

"Thank you for not being an idiot," she said with a smile as she took a bite of eggs.

As they continued to eat in silence Daphne's nerves began to grow. She desperately wanted to talk through the plan for the evening but stomped down the urge. They would stick to the plan of eating dinner separately in the Great Hall and meeting at six o'clock in the classroom nearest to the Headmaster's office. Sixty minutes was more than enough time to convince Harry. She trusted Harry would listen to her and she would wait. She honestly didn't know how Harry had done this for so long. Being the savior of the Wizarding World was nerve wracking.