Chapter Twenty

"Caroline," I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed deeply. "Do you mean that you signed me up to help, or to actually be in the Pageant?"

"Uh...you're officially part of the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant!" Her voice from the speaker sounded slightly forced, like she was waiting for me to explode.

"Let me guess. You thought it unfair that I missed it last year because of an exam, and so you convinced the board to let me compete this year. Even though I aged out months ago."

Honestly, I was more annoyed than angry.

"Yes! Exactly! And you don't have to worry about a thing. I've already got you a dress and a date! Just be there at five-thirty at the Lockwood Estate." Her voice regained it's perkiness as she realized I wasn't going to get mad at her.

I sighed, again, "Fine, but don't expect me to be there any long than I have to. And please make sure my date isn't a overzealous jock please? I'd at least like to have an intelligent conversation with the guy."

"Ok then! I'll see you there!" A beep echoed through the cave, signaling the end of the call.

Discarding the phone on the table, I turned around and collapsed on my bed. Wrapping myself in blankets, I settled in for a well-deserved nap.

~~~~~

Inhaling a deep breath, I entered the room from which hairspray and perfume emitted. The chatter from the many girls died down as they noticed my presence. I waved my hand to tell them to continue with whatever they were doing.

Making my way to a private room to the side, I patiently waited for Caroline to bring my dress. She came in a moment, looking even more flustered than usual.

"Sorry Ashley. There's was a little problem with the dress April's wearing..." She continued chatting. I smiled sardonically as I recounted the conversation I'd eavesdropped in on earlier. Oh if only they knew...

Slipping on my dress, I reluctantly let Caroline put a minimal amount of makeup on.

~~~~~

Third PoV:

The overlapping sounds of many tables conversing decreased as the sound of a microphone pierced the air.

"Welcome to this season's Miss Mystic Falls." Announced Mayor Lockwood. Everyone clapped and cheered.

"We are so excited to showcase our most outstanding community leaders in the making."

She continued on with her speech as Caroline slammed glasses down on a poor bus boy's tray.

"Hey, why am I bussing your tables? I said no empty glasses."

She then preceded to let out more of her frustration on the orchestra.

"Will you guys pick up the tempo?" The blonde angrily snapped her fingers at them. "This is a pageant, not a funeral."

"And how am I doing?" Asked Klaus' voice behind her. Caroline stopped, looked at him, and sighed.

"You're... perfect." He smiled happily, knowing that he had her.

"Just so beyond annoying, I can't even look at you."

He did look fine indeed. A light gray shirt, with an even darker tie, complimented his black suit very nicely. Klaus' attention was caught over Caroline's shoulder as Tyler and Hayley walked up in the background behind her.