Chapter Eleven: A Visit

"You understand what this means, correct?" An ivory hand caressed a golden grail, her yellow eyes shifting from the drink over to the girl in front of her. "You failed to find her, Brandish— and now, you're putting your trust in some man to find her for you? I thought you'd be smarter than this, how disappointing." She tilted her head to the side, uncrossing her legs.  She leaned forward in her seat, getting close and personal to the Nation Destroyer. "You are useless. If we can't find her, Lord Zeref will end up furious."

"I'm doing all of the work. I was the one that went out to look for the stupid girl. It's boring and useless." Brandish rolled her eyes. Her arms were crossed over her chest— she rolled her shoulder back. "Maybe if I wasn't the one doing all of the work, we would've found her by now."

"You're doing work? Brandish, if you were doing work, you wouldn't be here pampering your toenails." Dimaria spoke. A sigh was relieved, and her elbow rested at her thigh. Her chin was prompted in the palm of her hand, unamused with her friends' behaviour. "And you're not even touching them, Marin is doing it for you."

"Still getting the work done, am I not?"

"Brandish. This is serious."

There was silence, and then a sigh. Brandish's swiftly cast her foot away from Marin just to give him the other. Her gaze bored into Dimaria. She didn't want to talk to her— Dimaria annoyed her.

The fellow blonde nearly strangled Brandish right then and there, but she kept composed. She stood, adjusting her clothing before peering down at the other. She hated that Brandish was so stubborn, so lazy. She didn't understand how Brandish was well-liked throughout the Spriggan 12. It was laughable.

"Fine, I'll let you mope around as you let strangers look for our bounty."

Brandish bent her neck back, resting it on the head of the couch. She relieved a sigh, rolling her eyes to the back of her eye sockets.

"Brandish, you can't al— "

"Oh my god, just leave." Hands were brought up to her face, cupping her cheeks and dragging the skin down. "You're so annoying, just leave me alone! I'll find that cunt of a girl— just shut up and leave. My god, you have like, nothing to worry about."

Dimaria grimaced.

"I better not be disappointed. I wish Zeref would just do his thing for once." Dimaria snapped, running a hand through her blonde locks, the other reaching to open the door. "That curse of his would do us good, get rid of you and your shit attitude." With the twist of the doorknob, she left before Brandish could return a few words.

Brandish was too tired to care. She was used to Dimaria's behaviour. She was used to her god complex; everyone in the Spriggan 12 had a god complex.

Brandish wondered why Lord Zeref didn't go out himself. She wondered why he wanted her to look for his plaything. If she was so important, couldn't he go out on his own? No, if he was spotted out in the public, who knows what might happen. Brandish was the lesser-known; the one that had been sent out for all the errands.

"Marin, you're finished for now." With her big toe and the following, she picked the man up like he had been a toy. Brandish was careful not to crush him; if he was dead, who would pamper her feet? He set him on the chair Dimaria left behind. She sucked at her inner cheek, staring at a chessboard on an island table to her right— an unfinished game from days ago. It was Dimaria's turn.

"Lady Dimaria isn't very pleasant. I'd grade her as an F."

"I don't care about your stupid grades." Brandish rolled over to her front, resting her chin on the armrest. She thought to herself, maybe this wasn't a good idea. Maybe Damaria was right: she shouldn't of sent strangers out to find the girl. Brandish wasn't evil, at least not as evil as the rest of the Spriggan 12. If this girl was as dangerous as Lord Zeref made her out to be, this would be risking the lives of innocent people.

She adjusted her position, her cheek now laying at her forearm. With a lift of her index finger, Marin was back to his regular size.

"I was starting to think you'd keep me that size forever." Marin jested, trying to brighten the mood.

"If you keep talking then I just might." Brandish let out a sigh, closing her eyes. "But maybe— maybe your company won't be that bad."

It was a genuine surprise, especially to Marin. Brandish was lonely. Sure, she had the Spriggan 12, she had Dimaria, but she didn't seem to have any actual friends. She cared for Marin, even if he annoyed her from time to time. He was someone she could rely on, someone she could trust. If Brandish didn't have him, she would have nobody. She just didn't know it yet.

Marin went silent, it wasn't often he got any decent recognition from Brandish.

"Lady Brandish, I'd like to— "

"Could you massage my feet now?" The Nation Destroyer's large bosom had been pressed against the seat of the couch, her bare feet kicking the air at the other end of the couch. "I'll keep you at your normal size for two days if you do a good job."

Whatever the girl requested of Marin, she would get of Marin. Although a friend, he was also a tool. Brandish could use him to his disposal— but would never dispose of him. She began to wonder, what if Lord Zeref thought of their bounty the way she thought of Marin? What if she didn't succeed? She began to think: maybe she could prevent Lord Zeref of seeing her ever again at all.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

INDEX
[ none ]