#4- Coffee shop and College AU

In this AU, Kira does not exist, nor does the world-renowned detective known as L. L and Light are still two hella intelligent people in the same college, in the same course. Enjoy :)

L dragged his heavy feet on the cracked concrete path, with his shoulders and head lingering in the frosty winter air. The bitterly icy rain soaked through his messy inky hair, rippling chills throughout his worn-out body. His day at university had been long and exhausting, and to make it oh so much better, he had no access to his beloved sweets or sleep for the past three days.

Yeah, he felt like if death were a living person.

His teeth were chattering and his hands were trembling rapidly, while he felt a pain aching in his spine from his bizarre posture and from carrying a backpack that felt like it weighed 10 tonnes.

He slowly looked up from his dreary stance and noticed the gloomy and dark atmosphere that had set within the night; how the trees loomed intimidatingly over the shabby roads and footpaths, how the stars shone bleakly through the ashy thunderclouds, and the dark silhouettes of the parked cars along the road. He let out a sigh. Why was everything always so bleak?

Frostbite was nipping at his pale skin. He swore he could feel it in his bones, causing the shaking that had overcome him. Irritably was gripping onto his flesh, straining his every movement. His blood was running cold and bitter in his veins.

He could feel the sharp tingles of the rain hitting the back of his neck- he didn't know rain could cause you so much pain. The sensation felt like millions of needles poking him all at once, digging into his sensitive skin.

It was funny to him- he was this drained just from being out all day, without his usual necessities.  Aka, sugar, sugar, and yes- more sugar.

His red-rimmed eyes noticed a small and welcoming-looking coffee shop, poking out from just around the corner of the street.

Smoke was being emitted from a small chimney that sat on top of a well-polished roof, which connected to maple coloured brick walls. Vibrant flowers and plants in terracotta pots dotted around the little shop's walls. And finally, a 'Welcome' sign was carved just above the little wooden door that sat slightly ajar. 

"I guess some coffee doesn't sound too bad," he mumbled to himself, checking his phone for the time. 

He entered the cozy coffee shop, his sopping shoes leaving little puddles wherever they stepped.
Quickly, a warmth spread throughout his chest. The shop was oddly comforting- a fire was blazing in the centre, while fresh green leaves trimmed the walls of the shop. The small tables and booths were old-fashioned, yet clean and fresh.

The seats were all devoid of people, which L didn't mind. It was 11:03 pm, and after a long and frustrating week, he honestly didn't feel like seeing or talking to anyone.

A small smile tugged on L's icy blue lips, while he wandered to a small table that was situated in the very corner of the small shop. 

A waitress with black hair walked over with a pen and notepad in her hands, a friendly look cast upon her slightly older face.
"Hello sir, what would you like today?" she asked.

"Just a black coffee, thanks. With extra sugar, whipped cream, and.. hmm.. marshmallows. Oh and also, a slice of strawberry shortcake," he said.

"Sure. It'll be ready in a few minutes," the waitress replied, not phased by his sugary order.

L nodded politely to the lady, before pulling out his MacBook and loading up his recent essay for the criminology course he was taking. He reread it and checked it for the millionth time, a small sigh of boredom huffing from him. All the work was always so easy.