Down a Peg or Two

Theodore sat through his classes leading to lunch with his head down. He didn't meet the curious looks that everyone gave him. He didn't comment when he heard his name in whispers between gossiping classmates. He knew before long the whole school would know and there was nothing he could do. He was already helpless to stop Jayden from looking at him from across the room with concern. Why did he suddenly care? Jayden used to be best friends with Theodore and Tommy up until high school. He started hanging out with the popular athletes as part of the award-winning swim team. They drifted apart and it broke Theodore's heart. He had been head over heels for Jayden for a couple years before he drifted away. The feelings never really left but Jayden had so it was usually easy to ignore. Now however, Theodore felt more lost than ever before.

The bell had rung for lunch, shocking Theodore out of his downward spiral. He waited for most to leave before gathering his things and heading down to lunch. On his way into lunch his way was blocked by another student, Theodore's heart dropped as Addison Lewis, his longtime bully, stood in his way. Addison Lewis is a tall guy with dirty blonde hair, cobalt blue eyes, and the kind of face that just screams entitled rich douche. "Aww poor little Teddy lost his nanny. I bet you just want your blankie and binkie too, you fucking wet blanket." Addison spit at Theodore who just glared at him, doing his best to ignore his words.

"Move Addison, I'm not in the mood for your temper tantrums today." Theodore tried to move past him, but Addison moved to block his path again.

"Oh yeah? Well, it's pathetic enough that we have to have you mope about the school on a normal basis, now you really are just unbearable." Addison stepped up to him before shoving back until he hit a wall. He reared back his first as Theodore, braced for impact. He was shocked when the punch never came. He opened his eyes to find, Jayden gripping Addison's arm.

"Don't you fucking dare lay a hand on him Lewis. He doesn't need your torment. I'll be sure to tell Headmaster Caine that you tried to beat up the guy who just lost family." Jayden growled, shoving Addison away by his arm. Jayden, was just as tall as Addison but far more handsome, he was a complete heartthrob and if he were a celebrity he would be just as fawned over as any. He had shaggy, undercut brown hair with the most handsome hazel eyes. Addison growled and threw a glare at Theodore before retreating back to his table. Jayden turned to Theodore. "I'm really sorry about him Teddy, I'll do my best to keep him from you." He said kindly. Theodore stood there for a second weighing his feelings and options before throwing caution to the wind and hugging Jayden. Caught off guard, it took a moment before Jayden hugged back, but he petted the back of his head in the way that Natalie always used to. Theodore felt more tears, so he buried his face in his blazer sobbing softly.

"I'm sorry... It's just so hard..." Theodore was cursing himself for crying infront of people, especially Jayden, but Jayden just pulled back enough to lift Theodore's head.

"Don't apologize Teddy. You just lost someone very close to you. I'd be more worried if you weren't upset. Just do your best, I'm sure the headmaster would let you go home if you wanted." Jayden smiled sadly, being as handsome and sweet as he used to be. Theodore blushed slightly and looked away.

"I don't want to go home, if I go home... She won't be there and it'll hurt more. I can't handle that right now." Theodore admits, feeling his eyes water again. Jayden sighs and is quiet for a long moment.

"How about you come stay the night with me? Or ask Tommy. I know you are upset with me for not being closer but, I had my reasons. But you shouldn't be alone and, you don't want to go home. Believe it or not, I've missed you Teddy." Jayden smiles and Theodore blushes more properly.

"I don't want to deal with Tommy's parents. They're like my second parents. If the offer is good, I wouldn't mind spending the night with you." He fidgets slightly, unsure where all his confidence had vanished off to.

"Of course, Teddy. I'll meet you in the parking lot after school and we can head to my place and catch up." Jayden nods a bit. "See you then." He walks back to his table with a short ginger haired boy, Theodore knew as Micah, a strange boy who only appeared after middle school despite claiming to have lived in the area the whole time. Theodore collected himself and hurried to grab some lunch and sit with Tommy who immediately pulled him into a hug.

"Oh my god dude, I'm so sorry. I heard about Natty... I saw the whole thing with Addison and Jayden. Is he being nice? I swear if he isn't I'll go and-"Tommy rambled before Theodore cut in.

"Jayden was just protecting me, Tommy. Don't make threats, we know in a fight you are worse than I am. I'm actually heading over to Jayden's after school..." Theodore tried to slip the last part in casually before Tommy grins.

"Do I detect a blush Mr. Kitchener? You always were wild for Jayden." Tommy teases and Theodore groaned.

"It isn't like that. Trust me, even if I wanted it to be that way, Jayden could do a lot better than me, that's for sure. Besides, I'm pretty sure he is more interested in skirts than trousers." Theodore sulked. Tommy shrugged and picked at his food before going into another rant about Mr. Klein's homework load. Theodore way to lost in thought to care, he was trying to decipher Jayden's motives. Was he being a good friend or was this a set up? Theodore wasn't too sure, but he held his heart close, not wanting to end up heartbroken again.