Thirty One

It's seven in the morning and I haven't slept in two days. Double update??? I think yes.

"If food were people, which one would you marry?" Raina asked, staring at the ceiling while she lied on her back in the middle of the night, the large grandfather clock downstairs had just struck 2:30 in the morning.

Sirius knitted his eyebrows together. "What kind of a question is that?" He was lying on the floor next to her bed, hands supporting his head while he also looked at her ceiling.

Sirius had been sneaking into Raina's room every night since their first night back from Hogwarts. He insisted that it was purely for her safety, to make sure she didn't do anything impulsive and stupid, but as days went on and he continued to join her after hours, he wasn't convincing either of them.

Raina shrugged. "I dunno. Just a question."

Sirius thought for a moment. "Sushi."

"Sushi?" Raina asked. "What is that?"

"Japanese food. Muggles are really fond of it. Moony and Wormtail made me some on my fourteenth birthday—or they claim they did, but those rolls were far too perfect to not be made by the elves in the kitchen. You?"

"Lasagna." She said, without hesitation. "Everything about it is so perfect, I think that if I could have it for every meal of the day, my eating would be so much better."

"Really?" Said Sirius. "Lasagna?"

"Much better than raw fish." Raina shrugged.

"You said you didn't know what it was." He said, now confused.

"Yeah, I lied." She said simply.

"Why?" Sirius asked her, confused.

"I like listening to you talk." She told him matter of factly.

"About sushi?" Sirius' eyebrows were knitted together again.

"About anything." She shrugged again, before sitting up. "Aren't you uncomfortable on the floor like that?" She asked him.

Sirius shrugged. "Could be worse, at least you have carpet. Mum used to make me sleep in the cellar when I misbehaved and trust me, there was nothing in that room but a bucket."

"Well, your mum is awful, and you don't have to lay on the floor." She told him, Sirius looked up at her questioningly. "Come sit up here."

"A-are you sure?" He asked her, sitting up now by the support of his elbows.

"There's plenty of room." She smiled. "Come sit."

Sirius did as he was invited and brought himself onto the bed with Raina. It seemed wrong to be sitting there, so close to her at such late hours, while she was wearing only a tank top and a pair of loose shorts.

Why would he even think of such a thing? He wondered to himself right after that thought. She was simply being kind, you idiot, would you prefer the floor?

Raina had lied back down on her back to stare at the ceiling once again. "What do you think James would do if he caught you in here?" She asked him.

Sirius shifted so that he could lie down next to her and look back up at the ceiling as well. "Rip my bloody head off and feed it to Moony on a full moon, that's what."

Raina turned to look at him. "Why's that?"

"Well with our... reputations..." Sirius said carefully, hoping not to offend or sound as if he were insinuating anything. "It would be pretty easy to assume that we weren't just spending all of this time... talking."