Men and Monsters

I really hated the whooshy thing. Especially when Klaus kept doing it without any warning.

Once he set me down on the porch of my house, I hung onto the pillar for life instead of him this time. Then I turned around and smacked him in the shoulder. "Would you stop doing that?" I bit through my teeth.

His gaze darkened but before he had a chance to say anything, my mother was opening the door.

"Mom!" I practically yelled, surprise coursing through me, accompanied by dread. The last thing I wanted was for my mom to get involved in this. I glanced at the spot where Klaus had just been but to my relief, he had vanished.

"Oh," mom said, seeming almost as perplexed as I was. "I thought you were talking to someone."

More like something.

I plastered an aloof smile to my face. "Nope, I'm alone. All alone. I really couldn't be more alone, not that I'm....falling into depression or anything," I wasn't making this better. "I'm going inside."

"Where've you been?" She asked, doing that hands on her hip thing. It was her sheriff stance, as I liked to call it.

I shrugged, heading past her and into the house. "Just grabbed some coffee."

With an urban myth.

"All right, well. I'll see you tonight, okay?"

"Okay, Mom. Love you," I replied as she closed the door behind her.

___________________________________

That woman was infuriating. And not to mention inconsiderate. But perhaps that's what had kept Klaus intrigued by it. A rare thing it was for someone to insult him as if it were nothing.

He stood overlooking the river that wound its way beyond the town, gazing at the waters intently, with the sun dying over his shoulder as he tried to think.

He'd already decided that the girl was reckless as well.

Reckless. Infuriating. And perhaps even a bit fearless.

Maybe that's what he found fascinating, the fact that she wasn't afraid of him. That would probably come in time because it never failed to otherwise, but he'd enjoy her ignorance for as long as it lasted.

After that, well....

After was another story entirely.

_____________________________________

I tried calling Elena later on in the day but she never picked up and I sighed defeatedly, putting my phone on the table. It wasn't as if I could tell her what was happening. No chance at that. Plus, I really didn't want to think of or consider what he would do if he found out I spoke about it to someone else.

That would also mean admitting truth to everything he'd said and that was kind of a big deal.

I groaned loudly, picking myself off the couch to go and make dinner. As I blended ingredients and what not, my mind wouldn't wander from that annoying foreigner, with the ancient name, and indescribable eyes. It wasn't helping that he was also attractive; wasn't helping at all, in fact. But I also had to look on the better side of things.

He hadn't done what I'd been afraid he would. He hadn't used me as a vending machine or a snack shack or a human juice box. That was definitely not the most positive thing to say about someone outside of this scenario and the sound of it was ridiculous, but it was still true. Outside of the kidnapping, maybe he wasn't as scary as others apparently claimed him to be.

At that thought, I laughed to myself in disbelief, glancing at the clock.

If those were the bright points to him, I'd hate to see the bad.

I left mom's dinner in the fridge, knowing she'd be too late to eat it warm anyway. Then I headed upstairs and fell into bed, trying desperately to rid myself of thoughts of Klaus. But even in my dreams, I couldn't seem to escape from him.

My sleep wasn't much more restful than it had been the other night and I awoke the next morning in a groggy haze, searching for my phone and flipping it open.

No new messages.

I looked at the time.

At the sight, I nearly tossed myself out of bed, but then drew up short, remembering the beauty of it being the first day of Spring break. But that also meant nothing to distract myself with and that bummed me out.

I could really use distraction, after all.

Once I'd forced myself out of bed, I put on some shorts and a tank top, desperate for a run; some exercise to get the calories gone and I yanked my hair up in a tie.

As expected, mom had already left for work.

I tugged my shoes on and snatched up my iPod, eyeing the door suspiciously.

If he came, I wouldn't care. I wouldn't worry or be afraid. This was my town and he was the outsider and I refused to give any indication otherwise. I would not let anyone scare me off.

With that resolve, I opened my door and jammed the headphones in my ears.

I scrolled through my playlist as I ran.

"Monster, by Skillet," I read out loud. "How appropriate."

I went to the next one and clicked that.

The world seemed to flood with music and drown in the lyrics and it made it much harder to think, which was the point. I didn't slow my stride as I pumped my legs, feeling my breath lighten and my heart beat harder. It was almost a relief when I didn't find myself looking around for him, waiting for the moment he'd pop up.

I circled the neighborhood once, and then once more, feeling invigorated by his no show. Maybe this meant he was gone. He finally realized the ordinance of me and left, moving to....wherever people like him went next. That should've made me feel good.

But then why was there a distant feeling of disappointment?

The instant that realization came, I thrust it far from me and refused to acknowledge it further.

When I reached my street once more, I slowed my jog, pulling out my iPod from my pocket and flipping to another song, one I'd already listened to a dozen times.

But just as the open lyrics rushed over me, I looked up, and froze.

It was him. Not Klaus, no. It was the guy from the party, who had....who had....

All resolve of no fear flew from my mind just as he took a step forward, close enough to see past his black hair, to a set of very humanoid brown eyes that lay beneath.

I couldn't even muffle a scream and the music continued to pound in my ears as he grabbed me.