Part 23

Josephine

*content warning: mention of loss and grief. May be sensitive to some readers, proceed with caution*

"We know the Delvant will strike again, we just need to be ready for when they do." I watch as Felix runs his hand through his tousled hair, something he does when he is stressed.

"We will." Val nods, reassuring him.

Lilla was sat to my right on the couch, my hand smoothing her soft hair. We talked to her last night, explaining a little about what was going on. She had a right to know.

"Hey, baby." Felix now crouches down in front of us, setting his hand on Lilla's. He shoots me a quick reassuring glance before he continues. "Mama and I want you to have this," He opens his other hand and shows her the carved switch knife we decided to give to her. This knife was given to him when he became king, It belonged to his grandfather. "Auntie Val is going to show you how to use it. We just want you safe, okay?" He stands up, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

She holds the knife in her tiny hands and my heart breaks a little as she turns it over.

Its for her protection. I remind myself. It's okay.

"What do you think, Angel?" I ask softly as she continues to look at her new gift.

"Its pretty." Her thumb runs over the unique markings on the handle. "Thanks daddy." Her big blue eyes look up to meet his and I watch as his features fall slowly before he forces himself to smile.

"You're welcome, baby." He kisses the hand not holding the knife. "Why don't you go show auntie Val?" A smile spreads on her perfect face and we watch as she hops off the couch and runs across the room to Val. She pulls her out of the room, eager to learn how to use her new gift.

"We need to talk about what happened. Before everything went to hell." I can't help breaking the silence. It was going to happen eventually, and it was going to eat at me until we did.

"I know, " he sighs, eventually meeting my eyes again. "Tonight." He promises me. I nod. He leans over enough to kiss my lips for a moment and then he pulls away. We continue to look at each other, enjoying our presents and the moment of silence before reality sets back in.

I cant help the small smile that spreads across my face at the sight of him.

He's back into my life, I remember our life together before everything.

Lost in my own head, i'm interrupted by Lilla bursting back through the doors.

"Mama, look!" She holds the knife in her small hands, swiftly flicking the blade open in one continuous motion.

I was more than impressed at her new skill, but the smile on her face after she showed me warmed my heart. She was so proud of herself.

"Wow! That was amazing!" I lean forward and scoop her into my arms, praising her while peppering kisses to her face. When she was done sitting with me and wanted to learn more tricks, she left the room leaving Felix and I alone again.

He resumes his spot on the couch next to me, leaning into my side whispering; "We made that."

I can't help the smile taking over my lips.

I remember the moments after Lilla's birth, how excited and proud he was looking down on the small wrinkly baby in his arms. I remember the conversations we had when I first found out I was pregnant, the arguments. He never wanted to be a father. He didn't think he was fit. In reality, he was terrified and didn't know how to take care of someone else like a father would a daughter.