Scene Nine

"The city was destroyed about a decade ago," said Coraline, stepping over a pile of rubble, "in the war with Necrallia."

"That one was the most destructive," said Brekky, stepping around the pile. "I read about it- Necrallia had the Possessed, but Center City had the weaponry, and they ended up debliterating each other."

"Obliterating," Coraline corrected, glancing back at them. "Did you find that word in the book too?"

"Yeah," said Brekky shamelessly.

Coraline smiled and faced the front, continuing as if there hadn't been an interruption. "Most of the buildings in the city are absolutely gone, but a few are still standing. She stopped in front of a brick building and pointed at it's mostly intact tower. "This is where we're thinking we're going to settle if we get too big.

Struck stopped too, appraising it. It was tall, with a handsome set of white steps leading up to huge doors made of some sort of dark wood. A tower with a large golden object was perched on top, the tiled roof barely reaching halfway at its highest peak. On either side of the door were giant, slightly grimy windows, low enough that Struck could see inside. It looked to be mainly open, with the occasional cluster of chairs around a circular table.

Flame glanced around it, noticing that all the buildings around the one Coraline had pointed out were in much worse condition, with broken windows, crumbling walls, scorch marks, and other signs that a war had passed through. In comparison, this building looked like it didn't belong in the town at all.

She asked about it, to which Coraline responded, "That's what I wanted to talk to you about." She turned to Brekky. "How about you go to the Gardens?"

"You're just trying to get rid of me so I don't hear the story!" Brekky said indignantly. "I'm older than she is, why can't I-"

"Because I've already asked you about it," said Coraline, her normally calm exterior cracking a little in annoyance. "Remember?"

"Oh. That."

"Yes, that."

"I'll be at the Gardens," said Brekky meekly. She scampered past them, looking in all the world like a rebuked puppy.

"That was a little harsh," said Struck.

"It's...complicated," said Coraline. "Anyway, I wanted to ask you if you were feeling anything...weird about this building?"

"Weird how?"

"Don't ask, just tell me."

Struck, utterly confused, searched herself, coming up with nothing. "Not really. It's just a little weird that it isn't destroyed like everything else."

Coraline nodded thoughtfully. "I had to ask. There's a rumor that the building is haunted because it was untouched in the battle, and nobody wants to go inside it. I was just wondering if you felt anything off about it."

"Oh." Struck turned back to the building, seeing it in a new light. She'd never heard of demons before, but, after what Floretta had said, the theory that it was haunted became a bit more plausible. Then she thought of something, and turning back to Coraline, said, "Do you know what it was before the war?"

"I don't, but I like where you're coming from," she replied. "I think it was a meeting house of some sort, because of how the interior is set up."

Struck slowly turned in a circle, coming back to face Coraline with a strange look on her face. "What's on your mind?" The woman asked.

"Just...imagining," said Struck. "It's hard to believe this city was full of people. Before..." Her face fell.

"There are a lot of 'befores,'" said Coraline, not unkindly. "I find It's better not to think about it." She held out a hand. "Now, how about we go and see where Brekky's gone to."

Struck took the hand, nodded, and followed her deeper into the city.

And behind them, smoke began to fill the air.