🌺 26: Test the Waters

It was already dark when Xander had just finished his 'long cold shower' again. Now, he was sitting at his kitchen bar stool, sipping his beer, while staring blankly ahead.

Xander still couldn't stop remembering the moment at the river. He'd done a few runs, hunting, purposely spending the rest of the day so his mind wouldn't go back to Lucy, but to no avail.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" August's voice piped. "You called me here just to see you're daydream? Or nightdream."

Right. When Xander had just finished his hunting, he asked August to come to his house. For now, the most appropriate person to talk to and who could give Xander advice was this man who was two years older apart from him.

Victor is indeed the closest friend to Xander, but the things he will discuss, it seems that his Beta is more capable to answer it.

"How to apologize without saying sorry?"

August's face scrunched, lowered his beer bottle from his lips. "Uhm, isn't that the same as not apologizing?"

"I mean..." Xander struggled to find the right words. "I want to apologize, but is there any other way to apologize without having to say it?"

"You want to show it with action?"

That's right! Why is it so hard to find the right words? Xander snapped his fingers. "That's what I mean. I know you and Ana get into quarrels sometimes too. What did you do to make her forget the fight?"

August didn't answer the question but smirked. "Ah, is this about what you called Lucy with 'a name' this morning?"

"One of them. I... did worse things," Xander massaged the bridge of his nose briefly.

"What's worse other than your insolence words this morning?"

"I threw her to the river."

August almost spit his beer. "Seriously? You and your anger issue..." He shook his head. "What happened that made you do that? Just because she threw a shoe at you?"

Xander shifts in his stool and begins to tell his friend-like-brother everything that happened from him following Lucy, telling her to leave the pack, seeing her injured, to the time they got into a fight after the rogues' problem.

"All I want to do is to help her, but she thought that my decision to killed the rogues looks low. Lower than rogues. She called me 'any name' and I don't like it. My anger get the best of me."

"You need self-control, Xan. I bet Ace must be furious with you and try to taking over?" This friend has a sharp mind.

"He did. He... ran to her," Xander could feel the heat creep up the back of his neck. "Ace said sorry to her."

"Wow! Your wolf is more clever than you." The usual mockery came out of August's mouth.

"August, don't start..."

"Okay, okay, carry on." August finished the rest of the beer from the bottle.

"Well..." Somehow Xander became hesitant to talk about the next part. "Ace... after he said sorry, this dog," Xander could feel Ace rolling his eyes at him inside his head. "He..."

"Damn, Xan. It's like I saw the old you before your heart broke. Always stutter when you're nervous. Speak louder, Man! Why suddenly talk like a squirrel?"

As Xander wants to smack his friend's face, he held it. "We're making out! Or was it just Ace and Lucy making out? I'm just an audience and let them. I don't know how I came back to the surface, but for sure... I enjoyed the moment."

August immediately burst into amused laughter, causing his shoulders to move as well. "I believe when you've enjoyed it, that's where you came back to the surface. Ace knows your deepest desire."

Inside Xander's head, Ace barked in agreement with August's words. "Yeah, and then my doubts came back too. I left her in the river."

No one spoke between them. August tilted his head back briefly before speaking lowly. "You... you're so stupid. You keep doubting and fighting your own feelings."

Xander sighed. "Listen. I made a mistake—"

"Mistakes," August corrected.

"...and I admit I feel guilty. I'm so confused with myself. I'm not sure what we did on the river was based on real feelings. You know, the mate-pull makes us feel bewitched."

"Stop. You are currently doubting what is destined for you, Xan. This is completely the opposite of what you said to Cecilia."

Xander was stunned. He felt ashamed because his speech and behavior were so different. "I'm sorry."

"You must bow down and apologize to our Goddess. As well to your mate." There was a moment of silence before August opened his mouth again.

"I want you to answer some of my questions quickly, without hesitation, okay?"

Xander was confused, but he replied okay.

"When Lucy got hurt because of the rogues, how did you feel?"

"I'm worried for her," Xander answered fast. "My anger was diverted to the rogues who hurt Lucy."

August nodded slightly. "After saying you hate her so many times, do you still have a crush on her, even if it's just a little bit?"

Yeah, he's back and forth doing just that. Xander nods.

"When you both kissed, do you want to continue like that?"

If there's no doubt that always comes out of the blue, that's what Xander wants.

"Answer, Xan," August's voice sharpened.

"I don't want to stop," He looked away, fiddling with the bottle in his hand. "I want her, but like I said the other day, I don't know if Lucy wants me too."

"Then all we have to do is to test the waters," August smirked as he nodded again.

"How?"

"Let's just wait for Ana and the others to come."

Confused. Xander was just about to ask what his Beta had planned when the doorbell rang.

He hurried to open the main door, and was stunned to see several familiar faces; Ana, Sam, Cecilia, Victor, and also a woman at the very back.

Xander tightened his grip on the doorknob when he saw Lucy's flushed face and looked away when their eyes met.

But that's not what annoyed Xander, it was because of seeing his mate being piggyback by Victor.

🌺See You In the Next Chapter🌺

What are Xander's friends planning? Thank you for reading and also VOTE 🌟this story. You can recommend this story to your friends.

AUTUMN, Edited 2022.08.02