Chapter 1

Hunter woke up feeling sore all over. His back, arms and legs ached from the day before: grudgby "training" with Luz.

He sat up reluctantly, wincing at his tender triceps. It didn't take long for him to wake up fully, as Luz was tearing through the house, getting ready for school. Hunter heard her running, then crash into the ground, with a loud "OW!" to follow.

Hunter ran to the door and peeked out to find Luz sitting upright, rubbing her knee.
"Oh, hey, good morning Hunter, I tripped over my shoelaces, I guess I need to actually take the time to tie them."

Hunter shook his head. "Yeah, I promise, Luz, it's worth the few seconds. And why are you in such a hurry? It's only 7:15. School doesn't start for an hour."

Luz blushed. "Uh, well, I'm sneaking over to Blight Manor to walk Amity to school, since her parents don't like me and won't let me date her."

Hunter rolled his eyes. The fucking Blights.
"You're just way too unimaginably cool for them, Luz, trust me. You didn't do anything wrong."

Luz smiled up at him. "I like the new Hunter." She stood up, checked her laces, then skipped down the stairs.

Hunter stepped back into his room and gently closed the door. It was only 7:15. He and Eda planned on running errands together that day, but not for another two hours, so he thought that maybe he could rest a little longer.
Hunter had never really valued sleep much, not before being rescued by Eda and the rest of the Owl House. In fact, Hunter never really valued anything regarding his well-being at all, only the well-being of Emperor Belos.

He caught a glimpse of his reflection in a sword that was propped up in the corner of the room. It was collecting dust, but he could see the shade of the bags under his eyes. Even after almost a month of living in the Owl House, his face looked sunken and tired.
Hunter couldn't help but wonder if he'd look this roughed up forever. He had come to terms with the scars and even begun to not mind them so much, but the tired eyes made him feel sad.
Maybe he'd be sad forever. Hunter hoped not.
He got back under the covers of his mattress and tried to go back to sleep, but it was difficult.

Half an hour of tossing and turning later, Hunter was about to fall back asleep when his scroll started to light up and ding, over and over. Luz was blowing it up with messages.

LUZ: OMG HUNTER I FORGOT MY LUNCH!!!
LUZ: I'M GONNA STARVE THERES NO HUMAN FOOD HERE
LUZ: can you or Eda bring it to Hexside??"
LUZ: I'll do ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

HUNTER: I can bring it. NBD.

LUZ: TYSM BRO!!!!

HUNTER: Where should I drop it off?

LUZ: Go to the South entrance, the detention hall is there so it wont be busy. Tell me when you get there I can let you in!

Hunter shut off the scroll and dug through his box of belongings for clothes to wear. He pulled out a pair of jeans and a grey long-sleeved shirt. Somehow, Eda had a pair of jeans lying around that fit him perfectly, and he wore them nearly every day. The errands that day with Eda were to get Hunter more clothes, as well as the weekly grocery run.

Hunter walked down the stairs and into the kitchen, where Eda was leaning against the counter drinking a hot cup of apple blood.

"Hey, little man, you're up early." She said with a smirk.

"Yeah, Luz forgot this." He said, shrugging and picking up the brown paper bag with a cat drawn on it. "I told her I'd bring it to her."

Eda looked surprised. "Oh, shit, I wish I had known! I would have flown it over sooner."