Chapter I - A King's Conclave

Being a leader is making the people you love hate you a little more each day...

- Patrick Ness

{ 1927 }

Wakanda—the world's hidden and most advanced country. So much power that was being used sparingly and selfishly. Rarely do they show themselves to the world. That was why they have kept the facade that they were a nation on the brink of collapse. Little to the public's knowledge, they had a larger chance of prospering than them. It wasn't as clear as the year of 1927, when the Wakandans had created a new weapon that was powered by the Earth's energy.

As it was new tech, it had to be tested. It would not be logical to send any warriors of Wakanda into battle without knowing if it would work or not.

But who was going to test it? The Wakandan warriors? It wasn't allowed because they didn't want to risk the lives of their people just testing their new tech. Maybe the Dora Milaje? No; even the King of Wakanda denied that suggestion. They were their strongest fighters. If there was anyone injured, he wouldn't be able to live that down for a few weeks.

That was why, the King himself, suggested that he would be the one to undergo testing. Queen Nanali would refute, but was quickly assured by his husband that there would be a minimal chance of failing—especially when he would be wearing the Black Panther costume.

It was already high night. It looked to be past midnight, as the moon was in the middle of falling. The testing site was to be outside of Wakanda to attract the least amount of attention from the citizens of the city and the wandering travelers that come near the facilities of the city's cloak.

In a valley opening just outside the city, King Azzuri the Wise was walking around with the Black Panther costume that was splashed with golden trails. For the weapon that he was bearing, it was attached on his hands. He was told by his scientists that he needed to feel the Earth's gravity for him to power the bracelets.

Placing two fingers on his ear, he called to his comrades. "All I need to do is touch the surface, correct?"

"Correct, my king. We have gone through some difficulties in powering up the bracelets; however, your suit may be enough to power it."

"That is all I will need. Thank you." Taking the time to glimpse at the environment, he pondered at the thought of the world not knowing of Wakanda's true nature. "Truly an interesting thought. Truly..."

The hollow and vibrant forest and the soft and lush grass was at his disposal. It was going to be enough to power the weapons. The Earth's gravity was stronger than ever from where he was standing. He felt it looming around him—almost like it was circling him. For him, it was somewhat relaxing.

Lowering his hands to the Earth's surface and feeling the mushy grass, he pressed onwards. The bracelets on his hands glowed purple. The pebbles that were hidden in the grass' camouflage began to rise. Everything in his area that wasn't stuck to the ground floated—except for him.

He felt heavy. It was like the gravity was gathering on his back.

Electricity. There were charges of electricity being produced on his hands. It was surging throughout the ground, powering the weapons. The bracelets were rotating quickly on his hands, circling his wrist. The sound of cackling was ringing in his ears, as he felt the weapon's power.