Chapter 3

A servant girl named Nida helps me in getting undressed before I begin to bathe. She offers to help me in getting rid of the blood stains from my hands but I refuse since it's embarrassing enough for me to be standing naked in front of another human.

As she leaves, I start cleaning myself, beginning with my limbs. Red mixes with water and flows across the floor. I pick up a soap and start rubbing it on my body, it smells of lilies. I wash my waist length hair and then pour water over myself.

Finally, when I feel tidy enough, I step out with a satin robe covering me and head wrapped in a white towel. As I make my way towards the mirror, I sense a presence and turn around to find Friya standing elegantly near the door. She is dressed in red, a gown with black embroidery in the sleeves, it's length kissing the floor. Her red hair is let open into soft curls making her look very much like the princess she is. She has make-up on her face which enhances her features, big brown eyes, sharp nose and heart shaped lips painted in red.

"I thought you wouldn't be home," she smiles and approaches me. I shake my head and free my hair from the towel to let them dry. "Abi wants us kids to meet him in his chamber," she says as she picks up an apple from the table beside my bed. Taking a bite from it she continues, "there's something important he wants to tell us, I believe."

"Abi is home?" I blink in surprise and she nods in positive. I thought he was at the Qermez Tower with his Council of Ministers. Strange.

As if sensing my confusion, Friya speaks, "He returned last night. My mother, apparently, had told him to be back soon which he decided to oblige. He's a good husband, isn't he?" I don't answer. My mother died when I was a kid and I don't remember what kind of relationship my father shared with her. My parents never got married. I was born out of wedlock. The two other wives of my father haven't really been mean to me but they don't care about me either. And to be honest, I am okay with that.

By the time I am done with my thoughts, I see Friya shuffling through my wardrobe. She looks displeased throughout but takes out a peach coloured gown anyways. "You're wearing this," she puts the dress on my bed and begins to walk out.

"Where are you going?" I ask but she just waves her hand in the air and goes out of my sight. Sigh.

Friya is the third child of my father, birthed by his second wife Queen Esme. Friya has a younger brother, Prince Ilhan, who is practically an idiot just like Zyir. Both of them have this superiority complex and think that they have an upper hand over anything and everything in this mansion.

Zyir, too, has a sister of his own named Aleah. She's pretty and sophisticated, and doesn't like to talk much. Their mother, Queen Dilnaz, the first wife of my father, died soon after Aleah's birth.

I wear the gown and call for a servant to get my hair done. Abiya, a middle-aged woman with a very short height, comes into my room and starts combing my locks. She ties them into double buns and assists me wearing my necklace made of blue crystals. She also puts tint into my cheeks and leaves after giving me one final look.

I take a look in the mirror and find perfection beaming at me. There are moments like these when I truly feel like what I am, a royal child. A half mortal and a bastard, yes, but still royal.

I leave my room and take the giant staircase that leads to Abi's. Once there, I knock on the grand doors and let myself in once they open.

Aleah, Ilhan and Friya are seated on Abi's bed while he stands near the balcony, his back facing us. He turns to me once he is aware of my presence and smiles. "Fakhta," dove, he says and nods.

"Abi," I return his smile and he gestures for me to have a seat. I oblige. He comes and sits beside me, his broad arms going around me and Ilhan. Aleah rolls her eyes and Friya looks uninterested.

"Our family has been invited to witness the coronation ceremony of the new king of Wazaer," he reveals and eyebrows shot up in surprise. Wazaer is the biggest kingdom in the The Land of Khaloud, followed by the Kingdom of Faries and the Kingdom of Faraesi. As much as I know, the present Sultan of Wazaer has only one son, The Eagle, as he is called. I am not sure what exactly is his true name. I don't even care. But I know that he isn't a good guy.

There have been rumours that he isn't well suited for such a high position and that he is a ruthless killer. I am afraid his mismanagement of Wazaer is going to cause a turmoil in the whole of Khaloud.

"When are we leaving?" I hear Ilhan's voice and look at Abi.

"Tomorrow morning," he answers. "I want you all to dress like the royalty you are. Especially you, Aleah." Aleah looks up and I can tell that she's surprised. But she says nothing and nods in response. "Once in Wazaer, I'll get busy with some work so I want all of you to listen to Zyir. Oblige to everything he says. He is the eldest of you and more knowledgeable."

I want to protest. I want to contradict but I decide to stay silent. There's no point in arguing. Abi trusts Zyir too much to pay heed to anything I say against him.

"You can take Muniba along," he whispers in my ear and I brighten up.

"Thank you," I kiss his cheek, making him chuckle. At least I'll have Muniba there to share my headaches with.

Royal affairs have always made me wince in annoyance and I thank the universe everyday for the gift of healing it has bestowed me with. Without it, I would have had to stay confined to the walls of this mansion. I don't know how I would have managed that.

Sometimes, I wish I were a commoner in this kingdom, away from the glamour of thrones and crowns. But this is my destiny and the best I can do is stay out of the way which leads to rulership. Or anything related to that. Governance is not my cup of tea and I know it.