𝟎𝟏. Switchblade

┏━━━━━━ ⋅♬⋅ ━━━━━━┓
NIKI - Switchblade
┗━━━━━━ ⋅♬⋅ ━━━━━━┛

SUJI

I stood there, turning the postcard in my hand, an igloo of stones in front of me. I knew this was the entrance to the Loop but still, I could not shake the doubt I was feeling.

This is ridiculous. A cairn?

But as soon as I bent into the opening, I recognized the white light, felt the unmistakable warble, and knew I was no longer in 2021. All of a sudden, there were birds chirping. The most distinct call came from a peregrine falcon that I noticed was resting on top of a pine tree. Once I reached the edge of the forest, the falcon ruffled its feathers and immediately took flight. I entered the woods and rushed past the army of trees, one after the other. I gazed up at the falcon, trying to match its immense speed with my own two legs but it was no use.

The bird's silhouette soared against the sunlight, its shape almost concealed by the branches that whizzed overhead, and then I came to a clearing and was forced to stop in my tracks. In front of me was an acres-worth of bog and it was hard to tell whether or not it was safe. Luckily, I found the falcon perched on top of a lonely tree rooted in the middle of the marsh. It looked at me with its beady eyes as if to say that I had nothing to be afraid of. I took that as a sign to hop into the murk. With great effort, I trudged through the wetland in hopes of meeting the falcon at the bottom of the tree, only for it to take off from its branch yet again.

That'll be the last time I pursue a bird.

Despite the acute sadness imbuing within me, I persisted through the uncomfortable bog until I was able to see my shoes again. My feet sloshed with every step I took, leaving wet footprints on the fields of healthy grass beneath me.

After a few moments in solitude, I caught sight of a whimsical estate just beyond more trees and bushes. I couldn't help but stare at it from a distance. The region was less populous, for the house stood tall and alone, sandwiched between two forests.

How odd...

But of course, it made all the sense.

༻❁༺

I straightened myself and marvelled at the house one last time before climbing the stone steps that led me to its front doors. A voice from behind made me stop and I pulled my fist away, mid-knock.

"HEY!" he shouted again.

I spun around to see a boy, angrily walking towards me. All I could think was that he had to be crazy for wearing an all-grey getup in this weather. But as he drew near, it was me who started burning up.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked, planting himself on the step below. The tittering of the evening birds was his only answer until I found my voice again.

"Hi," I said. It was completely inadequate but I couldn't help myself-he was very handsome.

For a moment, we examined each other. I stared in admiration meanwhile he seemed to look at me for a whole different reason. His face filled with alarm after coming to some realization, and then I was being dragged through the large doors.

A fit of screams and laughter greeted us once we were inside. The boy, who held me in a death grip, took us up the length of the foyer as children zigzagged in and out of rooms. It occurred to me that they were running away from an imaginary monster-and then a tuxedo floated across the hall. A few of the children broke character to observe me as they passed by, and resumed their play only to run off and gossip with the others.

I felt the boy tug on my arm and then I was walking again. Once we reached the parlour, I knew we had made it to our destination because he finally relieved me of his hold.

"Stay here while I get the Bird," he demanded.

Before I could give him a response he was already gone, and I just nodded at the empty space.

_____