Number One

The week leading to the finals was stressful. Ran was ignoring me since that one night, he hasn't replied to my messages or calls. He does have to practice for his final match as well. So, I guess he's busy. My two brothers,  Kenzo and Ichiro, who were studying in America decided to fly in to support me. Who thought their little princess would one day be competing in a championship?

Day of the match...

My whole family was in the stands, cheering, Mr. and Mrs. Takahashi were there as well, along with Riri and Rui. Before leaving the locker room, I texted Ran to see if he was coming. He's been in my every match, cheering, unless he was sick or he has a match. I waited a few more minutes for him to reply, nothing.

It was tied 2-2 and it's been back and forth between my team and the other team with match point. Everyone was exhausted. Coach asked for a time out, I had a sip of water and tried to catch my breath, that was when I noticed Ran sneaking in. He had his goofy smile plastered on his face as he wave at me. Hana saw this and elbowed my side, she gave a dirty look and whispered that I should focus on the match. I just rolled my eyes.

It was another match point, Hana was serving, if we are able to save this and manage to hit one in, we'll win. Hana served, the other team was able to save it. The ball was near the left corner and it still baffles me on how they manage to save it. They set up for a hit, our libero managed to dig it, I set it up for Hana.. the other team blocked it, the ball falling to my left, I dove to save it, I felt a slight pain on my left knee. I saw Hana jumped for a spike, she hit it in an empty space. We won! I thought. That was when she landed on my left knee as I tried to get up. I screamed in pain.

Hana landed on her butt and looked at me as I held my knee, tears flowing down my face as I try to endure the pain. The coach followed by our athletic trainer were on me immediately. Asking me questions. They tried to carry me but I couldn't move, it hurts. I heard Ran from behind them, trying to get to me.

"I didn't mean it," I heard Hana say from somewhere. "We won, right? We should be celebrating, she can go to the hospital and have it checked out. It doesn't look that bad" she added.

Ran was beside me as they put me in a stretcher. "You'll be fine," he said and handed a bouquet of tulips, my favorite flowers. My dad rode with me to the hospital, I had an MRI scan and waited in my room. My whole family was there, including the Takahashi family. Ran sitting on a chair next to the bed. The doctor came in and told us that I have a Grade 3 ACL tear and I would need surgery. Everyone was quiet, Ran was holding my right hand, waiting for me to burst down crying.

"Will I be able to play again?" I asked.

"I'm going to be honest with you Higurashi-san, there is a possibility that you will be able to play again and be back 100% on court, but that will take time as your knee will need to heal after surgery and you will need a lot of therapy after," the doctor explained.

I nodded, "It's not like I have another option, let's get this over with so I can be out before Ran-kun's championship."

"Princess, you don't need to rush, you need to rest," my dad told me.

"I know, but I just.." I looked down on my swollen knee and that's when I felt a tear falling down on my other hand.

"Aya-chan, Ran would understand if you're not good by his championship game, right darling?" Mrs. Takahashi said.

I looked at Ran and he nodded before kissing the top of my head. I felt some icy glare coming from my brothers on the other side of the room. They were glaring at Ran. Protective much?

I had my surgery the day after. The team visited me along with Hana. They gave me a medal and a lot of my favorite snack, matcha pocky. I stayed in the hospital for two weeks, Ran visited everyday after practice, keeping me company. My brothers visited every other day, as well as my dad. Kenzo and Ichiro went back to the US to continue their studies for the Summer.