Chapter 1 : Masterpiece?

"Mr. Matthew! Could you see me in my office? It's rather important."

Oh here we go again, can't you see I am getting ready to go home?
That's what I would say, if he wasn't my boss.

"Yes, Mr.Smith. I will be in there in a moment." The tall brunette spoke with a long soft sigh. He seemed so drained out and tired part of him just wanted to go home and sleep his worries and pains away. He didn't want to be here today, he never really did anymore.
He soon walked to Mr. Smith's office, he stood there for a moment not ready to hear what he had to say now. Would he be criticized about the recent writing? Or maybe I am finally being fired after working here for ten long years. The brunette sighed as he opened the door to office and looked at his boss who was sitting in his chair looking out the window.

"You needed me, sir?"

"Ah yes, Cody, lovely to see you. We need to talk about some things. Pull up a chair." Mr. Smith spoke, he wasn't as peppy and cheerful as he normal is. He didn't even look away from the window to greet him. Cody pulled up a chair and sat down on the opposite side of the table.

"What did you need? Not to sound rude or anything but it's getting dark and I still need to go do some shopping before I go home." Cody said not making eye contact with his boss.

"Okay, I will keep it short then. We are going bankrupt. No one is buying the papers anymore. Nothing interesting is being written about anymore. I mean this is just a small town, which is normally rather peaceful." Mr. Smith spoke with this sorrow in his voice.

"Why are you telling me this? Does the others know?" Cody asked as he leaned back in the chair. He wasn't exactly shocked, to be honest he had been expecting this for a while now. Even then, he had sit back for a moment to think about it.

"No, I wanted to speak to you first. You are one of my most trustworthy employees. You always been there when the company needed you the most, and we need you again."

"What do you mean exactly?" Cody raised his eyebrow as he sat forwards to hear what Mr. Smith had to say.

"Write me a story, anything you want to write that will make the public go wild. To make them want to take interest in the paper again. Well, it's up to you. I won't force this on you if you don't want to handle this task." Mr. Smith said as he finally looked at Cody.

Cody sat for a moment considering a lot of things in the moment. It's not like he hasn't done this before, but they weren't ever in this exact scenario either.

"How long would I have?" Cody asked as he looked at the other male.

"I'd say we could last another 7 months at most. We still have a few people buying the paper. But it's mainly the old folks. So we could get some short stories until your big masterpiece is done."

Cody nodded and thought, was this a risk worth taking? Would he have another writer burnout? Could he even impress the public?

"Okay, I got 7 months. I think I could get something down. It couldn't be to hard. Also with the fair coming around I am sure people will get the local papers to get the information on that." Cody said with a nod. He was thinking out loud, but he really was brilliant.

"You have a good point, either way we should still have a backup plan after the fair stuff dies down. That's why I thought of writing a grand story for the locals. Y'know to touch some hearts." Mr. Smith explained.

"You're right, well I will get working on it when we come back Monday." Cody stood up and walked towards the door to exit.

"Cody."

Cody glanced back towards Mr. Smith with a slight confused look.

"Remember, this will be your masterpiece. Your symphony. So make it good, it might be what you get remembered for."

Cody nodded to that as he walked out of the office, he walked back to his small desk and gathered most of his things. Everyone else has went home besides him, Mr. Smith, and Joanne the receptionist. Cody walked towards the door as he gave a soft nod to Joanne.

"You have a nice night, Joanne." Cody said as he opened the door to leave.

"You too, sweetie. Be safe and wear a seat belt!" Joanne called out, her southern accents showed when she spoke up.

Cody walked to his car, he glanced around at as the sky grew darker. Nights like this reminded him of this past. Which was filled with laughter and sweet taunts from the women he loved. He shook his head and got in the car and buckled up. He turned on the car, then started to back out of the parking area.

'I need to go get groceries.'

He thought as he drove, all honesty he didn't want to do anything at the moment besides go home and sleep forever. But he had to eat somehow. He turned the radio on as he drove.

Juliet - Cavetown

I need to cry, but I can't

Get anything out of my eyes or my head

Did I die?

I need to run, but I can't

Get out of bed for anyone

Not for you

Cody hummed to the song, he kept his eyes on the road, this song made him feel at peace. But it also made his muscle grow tense. He couldn't explain why.  But he enjoyed it. After only a few minutes of driving he was at the grocery store.

"Let's go in, and get out. I wanna go home." Cody said to himself as he got out of the car and walked towards the entrance of the store.