Chapter 42

Written 8/21/21

I was in the bathroom doing my hair and makeup, getting ready for the dinner tonight. Yesterday and most of today went by in a blur. When Cristiano and I ate lunch, Livianna was in the kitchen too, and it felt awkward. Not even because of Livianna and I'd secret, but because of her and Cristiano's history.

I watched them both closely. She'd be looking at him, then he'd look up at her, then they'd both avert their gazes as if they didn't mean to look at each other.

I felt my cheeks get hot with jealousy, and I started fidgeting with my hands. As my friend, I was glad Livianna was back. But as Cristiano's former mistress, I wanted her as far away from him as possible.

"Ah!" I exclaim as I burn my finger on my curling iron. I looked at the little mark on my index finger, and decided not to let Livianna and Cristiano's history bother me. Even if he did still have feelings for her, I couldn't dwell on that.

I finished my makeup and hair, and went into the closet to find something to wear. I wanted something different, something bold. Then I find it. A long black dress, with a high slit. It reminded me of a dress my mother used to wear. She was so beautiful, with her big green eyes, and her jet black hair. I looked nothing like her, she was stunning, just like Livianna.

I carefully put on the dress, making sure not to mess up my hair along the way. When I looked in the mirror I barely recognized myself. I looked...stunning, just like my mother.

For a brief moment I felt a little insecure. What if it was too revealing? Or Cristiano didn't like it? Despite my fears, I walked out of the closet, and left the bedroom. When I walked down the stairs I felt like everyone was staring at me. It's not like I wasn't used to people looking at me, but this time they actually had a reason. I could hear my heart beating in my chest when I saw Cristiano at the bottom of the stairs. When he turned around I stopped completely.

He seemed a little surprised at first. Not angry or upset, just surprised. Then what he did next complete shocked me. He held out his hand to me. I carefully walked down the rest of the stairs and took his hand. He looked me up and down, his eyes exploring my body in a way that made me blush. I felt like even the guards were staring. I mentally groaned at the thought of all the maids gossiping about this later.

Cristiano looked me straight in the eye. He didn't have to say any actual words, his eyes said it all. You look beautiful.

Suddenly our moment was interrupted.

"Shall we leave Cristiano?" Diavolo says loudly, boastfully walking into the room.

Cristiano's expression turns into a frustrated one.

"You address me as Don, Uncle." Cristiano says sternly. Diavolo grits his teeth, attempting to hide it behind a smile.

"Of course. Don." Diavolo says, clearly trying to conceal his contempt.

They both stare at each other angrily for a good minute or so. I place my hand on Cristiano's arm, trying to make sure whatever tension in the room is lifted. He breaks away from his staring match, and puts his arm around me. We start walking out of the house, and are followed by a few guards.

"You'll ride in a separate car uncle." Cristiano says with a bit of a smirk, not even looking back at Diavolo. As much as I wanted to see the look on Diavolo's face, I didn't dare look back either.

Cristiano and I got into the car, and almost immediately we were driving towards the city. Cristiano looked happy, as if he was satisfied we had left Diavolo behind.

After a few minutes of driving, we finally arrived in the city. The lights were bright, and there were well dressed people almost everywhere. I didn't even realize why there were so many people out until I saw a Christmas Tree in one of the store windows. I had almost completely forgotten that Christmas was just a couple weeks away.