Chapter 22: Jayden

The familiar smell of popcorn wafted into Jayden's nose. It was dark, and he had no idea where he was, but he knew the smell of the cheap popcorn that stadiums gave out for snacks. He cleared his throat and looked around the dark space, and suddenly, he was sitting on a bench in the locker room. 

His coach was standing next to a board with positions lined up. The familiar faces of his baseball team surrounded him. Had everything that happened just been a dream? Surely, he couldn't imagine a whole world where he could fly and his grandpa coming back to life.

You sound crazy. He tuned in to what the coach was saying and then a flash of a blue monster came into his head. The spiked tail, the weird fashion of clothing the monster seemed to be obsessed with. He remembered the girl with the knife pressed against her throat. He remembered panicking and bringing the others to the Dead World. 

Ander wasn't a dream. 

And neither were the people that told them about how their powers came into play. How could you forget that you were coming to get your memories back? Jayden asked himself annoyed. The irony of the situation did not fly over his head.

"Jayden?!" screamed the coach from the front of the locker room. 

Jayden snapped back to where he was. The team was long gone, and he was the only one that remained seated. He stood up and walked toward the coach who held a hand out to block his chest. "Son, I need your head in the game. I can't have my best player not with it tonight. Not on the championship." 

Jayden gulped. Whatever place his head brought him to sure had him under a lot of pressure. The coach led him to the dugout, where the entire team greeted him cheerily. He was about to sit down when an announcement came over the loudspeaker of the stadium. 

"Welcome one and all to the Texas State Championships for high school baseball! I'm your commentator Chip Ukanowa and I'm bringing you the latest and greatest if you're not lucky enough to be seated in the stands on this truly beautiful day." 

Jayden looked at the outfield and saw a team in red uniforms. They were all tall, and lean. Jayden felt a twinge of nerves build up as he watched the other team's pitcher throw the ball into the air and catch it over and over again. He made eye contact with Jayden and grinned.

"Up first batting for the JP Adams Giants is Jayden Moore!" The coach slapped Jayden on the back and placed the bat into his hands as the commentator gave his stats to those in the stands. "Jayden's got a big game ahead of him. His father spoke of the numerous scouts he had coming from all the big universities. I wouldn't want to be under that kind of pressure folks!" 

Jayden came up to the plate and took a deep breath. At least when it came to baseball he knew what to do. Hit the ball, run the bases, and score for your team. It was simple, almost second nature for him at this point. 

"Jayden you better hit that ball, boy!" screamed his father from the stands. "You have too much riding on this day. Hit the damn ball!" 

The pitcher from the other team looked at Jayden and grinned. He gave a cocky smile to his teammate on the first base before he centered his attention on the catcher behind Jayden. Jayden bent his knees and made sure he had his elbow in the right position. The pitcher from the other team lifted his back leg and sent the baseball flying toward him straight down the center. 

Jayden smiled and swung the bat with great force, but watched as the ball stopped midair, changed directions, and dodged the bat before he could hit it. 

"Strike one!" screamed the umpire. 

What the actual hell just happened?!

Jayden stepped back from the plate and looked at the catcher who just nodded at Jayden with disgust. Surely there was some sort of cheating going on. He wasn't sure how, but baseballs don't just change directions in midair.