Asylum

The room is shrouded in darkness, the kind of darkness that gives children nightmares. The type that gets peoples hearts pounding, then the body starts shaking, and the eyes dart around the place suddenly never staying focused on one spot for more than a second, then the sense of sound becomes too much. A small tap could cause a huge flinch, or ones attention could be completely focused on the source. The type that sends the body into overstimulation, everything becoming completely hyper-aware. Although over the years, it's become familiar, this darkness, not that its bothered me anyway.

This darkness has given me time to think. Anything could spawn in my mind and I'd think it through, go through all possibilities. Though my mind is split in half - if you will. One part is rational, reasonable, goes through every scenario that I can think of. I'd like to think of it as just making sure I am one step ahead of the game, and if not one, more steps ahead. Making sure nothing can beat me in anything. The other part, is impulsive, more of a do-first-think-later. It like to be unpredictable, which often leads to recklessness. This half doesn't give anything much thought, so it soaks up any action or fun that is happening. So this half in a way, is dangerous, simply putting it. In short, one half is rational, the other half is unpredictable.

Back to the darkness, the room, or rather... cell I am in is damp, cold, and smells funny - it's disgusting. Every time I touch the walls I am met with the wetness of water, contaminated most likely. My face wrinkles in disgust. And to think they let people down here.

The bed is not a bed, more a block of raised concrete with a shit mattress which barely can pass as one. Only a thin itchy blanket is provided for warmth; not that it gives any.

Me physically, I am quite fit. Though this cell isn't big, in front of the 'bed' is a decent sized space for working out. Which is all I can do to keep myself busy, but even this has gotten rather boring.

My mental state, well, that's one I think is fine, but being trapped in this room has its effects. This room might even drive me mad but I won't give others the satisfaction of knowing and seeing.

Now you may be wondering how long have I been down here? Now, I know it's underground because of the constant smell of damp in this cell. The answer to the question is best part of ten years. A long time I know but it's time for me to make my appearance again.

I do get meals, that was when they opened back up this place. Apparently the whole me being down here was hushed and only a few knew. Suppose it was that Court Of Owls, now I only know about this is because I have loyalists, people who would die for me on the spot if I asked. These loyalists of mine are everywhere, all the time and nobody would know, because they are kept undercover. And I know it was the Court but they will end, it's only a matter of time. I won't end them because I won't waste my time and energy on twats like them, simply because it isn't worth it.

The place I am in is Arkham Asylum. The place for all of Gotham's loonies. But everyone will tell you in here that they; are not crazy, when in reality they are it's just a personal take on what sort of crazy you are. Me, suppose I am, to an extent. What I did? You'll have to find out, I won't give anyone the satisfaction of knowing me or what I did. I'd like to think I am a bit of a mystery box.

However today is the day, the day I get out of the basement cell and join the other crazies. These people think differently to others which are clearly not liked as they throw 'em all in 'ere.

Now, since Arkham has opened I've had my loyalists keep me updated on what I have missed, which is a lot, but easily caught up on. I have all the information coming to me, information such as the construction plans to this place so I know my ways, the in's and out's. Especially the information of patients and workers here. The upper hand sure is nice.

I hear the clank I my door as it opens, the dim light flooding my cell. "My lady Ace" the Guard speaks, I chuckle, "please, you don't have to say that" I look at the young boy, "my you are young to be working here aren't ya?" The boys eyes look at mine, "My Lady, I am in my early twenties, plus-" I stand up and he stop talking immediately, "I know, you need to relax. Though it is quite a shock someone choosing to work here" his posture becomes even more stiff than before, "only to serve you" he mumbles.

I stalk closer to him, "and for that I am grateful." His eyes meet mine, "thank you My Lady" I give a closed smile. "I need people like you, people like you are good" he does not speak, only to make a sound in agreement. "My Lady I am to take you to the rec room for social hours here in the asylum then after I will take you back here and get you better stuff" I'm starting to like this boy, "tell me, what is your name?" He bravely looks me in the eye, "Mickey, My Lady" I put my pale hand on his shoulder, "it's nice to meet you" I take my hand off, "now I don't know about you, I am rather hungry and dirty" he gets the hint as he bares his neck to me. Oh side note, I am a creature of the damned and I need sustenance.

I sink my fangs into his neck and take his blood, he lets out small whimpers of pain, his blood is rather nice to the compared to others I have had, sweet with a hint of sour and the obvious copper taste that blood is anyway.

I take them out and wipe my mouth and look at him, "we better get a move on" I gently say, he leads me to a room down the dimly lit corridor and opens the door, it contains a rather updated shower and a change of clean clothes which are identical to the ones I am wearing. The room has soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, toothbrushes, a long mirror, hairbrushes and any other necessary items. "How long did this take to get in?" I ask, "not long, we wanted to be prepared for you" I nod and he closes the door.

After a much needed shower I put on a bra and underwear, then the uniform which is still itchy; girls have to wear a dress or somethin'. But I will wear it so I don't draw attention to myself. It's clean. Which is good 'cause I've been sitting in my own sweat for years. I brush through my long hair which used to be short but now has grown down to my hip. I braid my smokey brown hair and use a hair bobble to tie the end. I look at my face to familiarise myself with my reflection again, my cheek bones are a bit prominent due to malnutrition, my eyebrows look out of shape so I quickly pluck them to the right shape I want them, a nice arch. The dull blue eyes of mine are just as I remembered them to be; lookin' lifeless as usual.

I slip on the shoes that they provide here and open the door, "to the rec room it is" I state. Mickey gently grabs my arm and leads me further down the corridor and up a few flights of stairs.

The sound of footsteps filling the silence, "My Lady" Mickey brakes this, "just to let you know, a patient known as Richard Sions, he seems to be running the place, gets people stuff" I hum to myself, "thank you Mickey, you have been a great help" he nods as we approach a corridor to the rec room. The walls are painted a horrible green colour, and the doors to the rec room are like gates for a fence.

Passing guards glance at me and quickly look away, mutters of 'holy shit' seem to be common. Mickey let's go of my arm and opens the gate, and I step through. Hearing it shut behind me every person in here looks at me, "the fuck are you looking at!" I shout and everyone quickly looks away, most likely from fear.

I scan across the room to spot someone who I have been looking for, "found you, Sionis" my mouth forming an evil smirk.

————

This is something I've wanted to write for a while lol. Just hope it turns out ok!

Hope you enjoy and look out for next chapter!!

-

riverOFwordss