chariots of gold

chariots of gold

4

"is that guy eating a sugar cube? " 

The only way to describe the Capitol was bright. It was blinding, the riches, the buildings, the clear skies. For the first time in my life, I could see through the fog, I could see the blue color of the sky, and the green of the grass.

Thomas and I sat together towards the back of the train, both in awe and disbelief that we spent our entire life in darkness. "I feel stupid", I said turning to him with a sad smile on my face. "Why? Is it because you're 16 and thought the sky was green?" I let out a dramatic gasp at that, "I did not! You should really learn sarcasm." We both laughed at the look of disbelief on his face. "We're gonna be allies though, right? Even if we're on other sides?"

He nudged my shoulder playfully, "I wouldn't let you go alone Feathers. You wouldn't last a minute without me." He added with a cheeky grin. "Why the fuck do you call me feathers, have you seen me?" He rolled his eyes in response, "I think it's fitting."

"I don't agree. But now I have to call you, darling. Nope- it's nonnegotiable- you started this!"

"About that alliance..."

"Oh shut up sweetie, you know you adore me-" "-Questionable"

"Anyways.." I interrupted with an amused glare, "I am worried, I know shocker, I understand why Hera wants me to do this but, I'm going to be the sheep in the den of wolves. I can't fight well, I can try but if I'm targeted then it's over with, I'm done, dead, in a grave, bye-bye, you know? And the stupid capitol is just going to-" Suddenly Thomases hand was firmly covering my mouth, his eyes flitting back and forth like he was searching for something important. "Shut up! Do you know anything! There are cameras everywhere, everything you say they can hear-" "-How the fuck was a supposed to know that!"

"It's basic, how do you think they know so much!" Thomas said in an urgent whisper before abruptly getting up and leaving the room. "What the fuck! I'm sorry!" I desperately yelled after him, and allowing the door to shut in my face"And then there was one."

Rightfully so, being the sensitive bitch that I am, I was depressed the rest of the day about this encounter, well, more depressed. The only thing brightening my mood was seeing the other tributes, call me messed up, but I found it somewhat therapeutic, seeing twenty-two other people in the same boat as me. Also, ignoring the constant nagging that most of these could snap me like a twig, it was quite entertaining, I kinda got the appeal, kinda.

What snapped me back to the true reality of the games was seeing district four's two tributes, brother and sister, Isla and Dylan Fisher. Both with golden hair, and green eyes, they looked at each other with such sadness it was almost sickening. After that I was the one leaving the room, I would see them later anyway. 

strange stylists 

One thing I quickly understood was that dull colors weren't a big thing here. Every single Capitol citizen, stylist, worker, even cleaner wore bright colors. Hot pinks, blues, neon greens, everything! As well as the odd disconcern for nudity. The moment I was led into a small room with curtains surrounding it I was suddenly asked to strip with three other people in the room with me. It was delightful being scrutinized when in my most vulnerable state, please note the sarcasm.

And once I was plucked of every hair on my body and lathered in vanilla lotion, I was placed in front of a boy only a few years older than me. He looked the most normal out of everyone I had seen, including my three scrutinizers who we decked out in colored wigs, bright eyelashes, and fake eyes.

He, however, was wearing a white silk shirt, and purple pants, with simple brown hair. The only thing that was noticeably different about him was his grey eyes, which unlike the others looked real. He greeted me with a beaming smile and an exciting aura. "Hello! I'm Sirius Hell, your stylist." He grabbed my hand in a friendly manner before beginning to talk eagerly, "Now each year your district is just given some weird quilt but I was hired to give modern touches to this year and I never plan to disappoint. This is what I have in mind." The dress he showed me was complex, I was to wear all lace even on my face and my dress was a ballgown with textile designs and a corset top.

"Isn't that a bit modest for the Capitol?" I joked, fully expecting a rude comment aimed at me in return, but instead, he simply laughed. Lightly at first but after a moment of me staring at him with wide eyes, he suddenly began laughing so hard that he was clutching his stomach. He had one of those contagious laughs, loud and ridiculous, and for no good reason, I found myself laughing just as hard as him that tears formed in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, It's just-" he cut himself off with more breathless laughter. "This was the original design." What he handed to me made me laugh even harder. The "original design" as he called it was three strips of multicolor fabric, to cover my lady bits but the rest was bare. "That's so horrible!"

After a while, we had calmed down and I was sent to go put on the dress with an Avox for both our sakes (every time we looked at each we laughed) and was quickly escorted to hair promptly after.

In the end, the only way I was able to describe myself was beautiful. My hair was no longer so pulled back pieces broke, and my skin was no longer covered in exhausted lines of color. Instead in her place, was a girl full of youth, and soft silky hair.

capes of clouds

"Zee.. why is that guy eating from a bowl of sugar cubes?" Zee White decked out in an all-hot pink outfit, with a white wig, didn't even look where I was pointing before answering. "That's Finnick Odair. Goldenboy? The Pearl Of the Ocean? Poseidon? Oh dear child I have so much to teach you! He's the youngest victor in history winning at only 14! Honestly child, how do you not know this!"

I shrugged, "Three years ago I had other things to worry about."

Zee brought me up to my chariot where Thomas already stood. Like me he was covered in lace but wore the same design on my dress with a shirt and trousers. The most noticeable difference between our two outfits was the large cloud cape elegantly draped over his shoulders. Before I could question what he was wearing, I felt something warm and fluffy  placed on my two shoulders. An identical cape now fallen around my dress was seen, its light glitter and softness made it look as if I was surrounded by clouds.

"What-"

"When researching I saw that your district had a lot of clouds and fog, so I wanted to pay tribute to that. I know it's a bit much but as this is my first year I had to be extravagant!" Sirius said dramatically, a large smile forming on his face.

I returned the smile warmly, "Thank you, It's wonderful." I gave him a wave of goodbye as I mounted a gold chariot, allowing myself to be surrounded by fluorescent lights.