Prologue

A box falls onto the floor as I rummage through my room, cleaning it out of pure impulse

     A box falls onto the floor as I rummage through my room, cleaning it out of pure impulse. "Shit," I jump at the noise but proceed to open the box, instantly faced with a treasure trove of memories.
_

   "Kaoru-chan, come here!" I wave to the girl, who's my temporary best friend through this camping trip. Technically, this was a hangout for the grown-ups and they all decided to bring their kids, leaving them in the care of some lady. But so far it's been fun! After all, if this never happened, I would've never met Kaoru! "Yes, Y/N?" Kaoru pokes her head out from her camp. "Shh! Let's watch the sunrise together!" I grin, grabbing her hand. "But mom and dad are still asleep..." Kaoru looks back. "It'll be fine! You can't miss a view this pretty, after all!" I bring her to a spot on the mountain we're staying at. I point her towards the horizon, where you can see a light pink shade rising. "That's... Gorgeous! You were right, Y/N-san!" Kaoru's eyes sparkle, her usual shyness dissipating. "Such a fleeting beauty..." She's distracted by the sunrise over the forest, while I bring out red bracelets from behind.

   I take Kaoru's hand, wrapping one of the strings around her wrist. "Y/N-san..." She looks up at me. "I made extra from the activity we did yesterday, I thought we should get matching bracelets to remember the fun we had!" I hug her, bringing my attention back to the sunrise. "They're really pretty, thank you, I'll never take it off!" We stay there for a few minutes, talking about all the fun we're going to have today.

   "Kaoru! Y/N!" The adults can be heard from nearby. "Girls... Y/N, I told you to stop leading Kaoru everywhere with you, it's dangerous when you're alone!" My dad complains. "You're going to make Kaoru's parents worry, don't do that dear," My mom adds.

   "It's fine! If Y/N-san is here, I feel as safe as can be!" Kaoru smiles, looking at the red strand on her wrist. "That's good to hear, now let's go down for breakfast, I bet you're both hungry." My mom reaches out her hand, Kaoru and I latching onto her.

-

   "Those were the days... I haven't seen Kaoru ever since." I sigh, looking at the bracelet in the box. "Can't hurt to wear it and reminisce on some memories," I pull it onto my arm with a smile. "I promise you, Kaoru-san, I will absolutely find you again."

   "But for now, it's time to rest," I clear the clutter left in my room, jumping into my bed and falling into a deep sleep.