(iv) Are You Satisfied?

iv

iv.
Are You Satisfied?

$$$

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

               JJ Maybank was a lot of things, but a liar wasn't one of them. So, just like he promised, he was gone before Blair could even think about stirring awake the next day.

          Which meant she woke up to an empty, cold bed with a messy note left where his body previously was, one that read ARE YOU SATISFIED? in all caps in his God-awful messy handwriting because he knew she never could really read it whenever he wrote in lowercase. It was crumbled and scrubbed and it nearly slid on the floor when she rolled onto the empty space. And, to answer the question: yes, she was. She was satisfied, and it was visible on her face as she took another shower in the morning to get rid of his lemon-mint surf-wax and booze scent before making her way down to where the rest of the Cameron bunch (excluding Rafe) were having brunch on the patio.

She pinned her hair back behind her head and he grabbed a jug of freshly-pressed orange juice from the counter, then made her way outside with a wide smile to meet up with the rest. It was the life she craved, the perfect one, and she wasn't going to let a Pogue of all people ruin it because both couldn't keep their hands to themselves.

           One day, she knew she'll cross the line for all things doll-like and perfect. She'll leave her skin at the edge of the world if meant she'll die the girl she was now. Or, at least, those were all the things she told herself in the morning to justify being such a bad person. That she was born into it. That she was born for it. That the Cameron smile is the gateway to all things shady and she was mounting a very, very slippery slope.

          But that day wasn't today, she prayed, washing her hands with rose soap so her fingertips wouldn't smell of cigarette-ash when she sat down with her father and sisters, then grabbing a pair of Prada sunglasses on her way out. They were tossed on the counter very pretentiously. She knew they were Rose's.

           Ward was the first one to look at the screen door at it slid open, smiling widely at the sight of his daughter. "Blair! I was thinking of sending the crane up to your room to wake you," he laughed, to which she chuckled a little bit. He pulled the empty chair besides him back and gestured for her to take a seat, which she did after wrapped her arms around Sarah from behind and pressing a kiss to the top of Wheezie's head. "Slept well after the party?"

           Sarah nearly spat out her juice and Blair choked on her own saliva as she thumped into the chair, smiling falsely. "What party? I have, like, no idea what you're talking about."

"I might be old, girls," he laughed, glancing between Sarah and Blair, "but I'm not dumb."

"You went to a party without me?" Wheezie's jaw dropped and Blair almost believed she was actually offended. If she wasn't thirteen with a thirst for social media, then maybe she'd actually find solace in those things. "Totally unfair!"