Scorpions

Alex and Ren met across the street from the museum the next morning and waited for Todtman. "Hey, did you bring that Death Walkers book?" said Ren.

"Couldn't find it," said Alex. "I could've sworn I had it by the window, but it wasn't there."

"You ask your aunt and uncle?"

"Said they hadn't seen it."

"What about your cousin?"

"Luke's not much of a reader."

"Oh, wait, here comes Todtman."

He walked up carrying an extremely large coffee in one hand and a newspaper under one arm. "Good morning," he said. "Let's walk."

He headed toward Central Park, and Alex and Ren tagged along on either side.

"We should, uh, watch our step in here," said Alex, eyeing the ground as they entered the park.

"Indeed," said Todtman. "There's something I want to show you. You both have strong stomachs, I hope."

Alex and Ren glanced over at each other: strong stomachs?

"And you've both seen the news?"

Todtman flashed the front page at them. The headline: "Stung Man Sprung from Cursed Exhibit."

"They didn't mention us by name," said Ren. "But they mentioned you."

"Did you get in trouble?" asked Alex.

"Not exactly," Todtman said cryptically, dropping the paper in a trash can without breaking stride.

They hooked a right and headed deeper into the park.

Ren tested the water with a softball question. "So what's your deal anyway?" she asked Todtman. "Why Egypt? Why not ..."

"Please don't say World War II," he said, not unkindly. Alex looked around to see if anyone was following them or listening in. Todtman continued: "Egypt has been a passion of mine since I was young — younger than you two. I took a trip when I was eight."

"It's not as far from Germany," volunteered Ren.

"True, but still far. My family was neither rich nor poor, and the trip was a big event. My father had gotten a bonus, I believe. In any case, eight years old. I'd never seen anything more impressive than a well-made cuckoo clock, and here were pyramids as high as skyscrapers. We floated down the Nile and our guides took us down into a tomb. The sarcophagus was still inside. I was done for. Hooked."

Alex knew the feeling, but they hadn't come here to talk about vacations. "Shouldn't we go someplace private?" he said, waving his hand at the park's famous scenery.

"But this is very private today, isn't it?" said Todtman.

Alex looked again. The park should've been packed on a summer day like this, but the trails were mostly empty. He didn't see a single jogger.

He remembered the scene last night, the face twisted in pain. He could understand that. But what about the tourists, the dog-walkers ...

He heard a rustling just off the path and jumped away.

"There are scorpions here," he said.

It sounded silly in the daylight, but he knew what he'd seen. And the others weren't exactly laughing.

"They're all over the city," said Ren. "Didn't you read any of the other stories?"

Alex shook his head. Ren gave him a disapproving look and turned toward Todtman. "The news says it's because of people releasing 'exotic pets' and climate change."