Prom Night Lights | The Middle

Seasons come and go - summer to winter, hot to cold, and we all adapt to the smallest changes. We strip off when the heat gets unbearable, and rug up when the chill bores to the bones. But every small change can affect us - past pains and injuries being the most sensitive to these things, and between these extremes, the smallest change could be the greatest and most powerful experience that could change you.

It could even break you.

A yawn escaped your lips while you stretched your arms up above your head, pulling at every fiber across your shoulders and chest. The graduation ceremony was long and arduous, despite you sitting in a chair for hours. Well, at least three hours, but who was counting?

You glanced around Heights Alliance, watching students walk to and fro. The atmosphere was a reminder of the hardships and the hard work put into your studies on and off campus. You recalled the training sessions, the Joint Training Exercise, the constant rivalry between the classes, which made you chuckle a little at the thought. And then there were the harder times - the War being one of a few. One that you could not assist, could not dive into the front lines, and especially, if not importantly, one that you couldn't be beside-

"Can you believe we graduated?" piped Awase with a grin plastered on his face.

You wondered how he was doing now; what he must be thinking; how his family was going. You smiled while recalling the times you rendezvoused between dormitories worrying over the smallest things, mostly over studies. And then you remembered the radio silence when the War happened, including the slow days reconnecting with him again afterwards. It was a tough road paved with difficulties, only compounded by the fact that you were in a different class from him, constantly worrying and checking your phone.

"Hey, you okay?" asked Awase, concerned.

"Yeah, of course," you piped, snapping out of your reverie. "Just wondering how 3-A must be doing."

"So much has happened to them, huh?"

Yes, so much has happened, and you have been confused over the years. But you couldn't tell if it was his aloofness or his sudden shift in behavior since the War, having to deal with the aftermath. Ever since the commencement of your second year in UA there was this tension in your gut; a heavy solid feeling that grew with anxiety outside of the times you had spent with him. On top of this, days leading up to graduation felt odd and a little strained. You had noticed a flock of students following him around campus, most likely those keen on inviting him as their date to the prom the academy decided to plan to celebrate the graduating year. The amount of students who fluttered around him left you hollow, feeling hapless to the hope of being his for the night.

You hoped he would have-

"Excuse me, hi!" Called a voice from behind you and Awase, finding another student walking up to you with an awkward smile. "You don't know me but I wanted to ask, if you weren't too busy that I could, I mean, I would like to take you out tonight, to the prom tonight."

You stared, shocked at the proposal from a random student out of the blue. He looked a little rough around the edges, but you didn't recognize him until you spotted his shoulders, his blazer adorned with buttons akin to the Support classes.

"They'd love to," answered Awase, bringing you back to speed.

"What?" you exclaimed.

"That's great, thanks," piped the student with a beaming smile. "I'll pick you up at six?"

"Six is perfect," continued Awase with a smile of his own. "We'll make sure they're ready."

The student smiled wider, happy to hear the answer before he walked away, returning back to his band of friends in the distance. All you did was stare at them before turning your eye onto Awase, still with that smile on his face.