Chapter 1

You were walking fast through the little park in front of your best friend's house. It was pitch black and you were already an hour late. The park was exceptionally quiet, nobody was out. When your phone chimed, you slowed down a little as you fumbled through your purse to pull it out.

"Where are you?" your best friend urged.

"Peggy, I'm so sorry. Work was crazy, but I'm in the park."

You looked up and saw her standing at her kitchen window, her eyes roamed over the dimly lit street to find you. You waved and told her to look straight ahead. She waved back, although her lips turned into an upset pout.

"You could have called."

"Thought I was going to bail on you, didn't ya?"

"Well, yeah," she admitted.

You watched as the corners of her lips curled upward. She kept her eyes on you as you crossed the street to her house.

"Just hurry up, everyone's starving."

You snorted, glancing furtively around to make sure there was no car. You opened your mouth to retort when the screech of tyres made your head snap up.

A beam of bright yellow light blinded you as you felt your body being simultaneously pushed back and forced forward. You heard a scream and collapsed onto the ground, hitting the back of your head on the asphalt.

Two months later

Peggy and her husband, Tony, decided to rent your apartment in order to pay your hospital bills. The doctors advised Peggy to sign papers authorising permission to take you out of life support, but she simply said no. She removed things like your photos and clothes and put your apartment on the market.

Bucky followed the real estate agent into yet another apartment. Looking around, he felt like he finally found the right one. The living room was nicely decorated, although nothing extravagant. Under the bay window were arranged two sofas, a coffee table, a TV and an empty console. A table in mahogany stood near the kitchen.

The hallway led down to two rooms, a dressing and a bathroom. The view from the bay window was absolutely stunning.

"This place is great," Bucky turned back to Pepper Potts who looked relieved. "Why is it still on the market?"

"It's a one-to-one sublet. No one-year lease."

"Oh," Bucky walked over to the bay window. "Why?"

"Didn't feel like asking, they were pretty close-mouthed about it."

Bucky marched to the sofa and slumped down on it. He stared at the black screen of the TV for a moment. Pepper fought back a groan and pinched the bridge of her nose. He had been a pain in the ass the entire day.

He wanted an apartment that was already furnished, but he wouldn't tell her anything about his job or his life, which made her job a lot more complicated.

"I like this one," he suddenly said, making her gasp in surprise. "I'll take it."

Pepper dragged him to her office and made him sign the papers. The next day, Bucky moved his few things into your apartment. After a long, hot shower, he put a tee and his sweatpants on. He sat in front of the television with a cold beer and a bag of chips.

Three hours later, the coffee table was covered with empty beer bottles and half eaten take-out. Bucky was staring at the TV without really seeing it. With a sigh, he walked into the kitchen, grabbed another beer and returned to the living room.