Chapter 6

*some of the lines are from the film, I obviously don't own them*

"Stop laughing, this isn't funny," Bucky chastised.

You clutched your belly and doubled over. "I'm sorry, but it kind of is."

You both walked towards Peggy's house. Bucky was a nervous mess as he climbed the three steps to her front door.

"What am I going to tell her?"

"That you're a cop and you're investigating my case."

"She just caught me talking to myself. I should tell her I can see your spirit."

His words made you turn around.

"Whatever you do, do not tell her you can see my ghost. Peggy's too down to earth to believe in that and, believe me, she doesn't need help to throw your out of her house."

Bucky knocked on the front door, giving you a self-assure look. "I think I'll be alright."

Peggy kept the chain lock in place as she cracked the door open and peeked outside. Bucky turned to her and took his badge from his pocket.

"Mrs Carter-Stark?" She nodded. "I'm Detective-Sergeant Barnes." He showed her his badge and gave her his best smile.

"I saw you talking to yourself. What were you doing?"

Bucky had to think fast and said the first thing that popped into his head. "I got a call from the police station on my radio." She furrowed her brows, but he didn't let her speak. "Do you mind if I come in? It's about your friend." He glanced at you from the corner of his eye.

"James, don't tell her about the spirit thing," you warned him again.

Peggy slammed the door shut and unlocked the chain before she opened the door again. "You found the bastard who hurt her?"

"Not yet, I'm working on it."

"You're not the policeman I saw back then." She squinted her eyes at him.

"I'm taking over the case." Bucky thanked her when she let him in.

You followed Bucky and took a good look around her house. She was normally so neat and organised, yet, it looked like a hurricane came through her home.

You looked at your friend who walked with Bucky to the kitchen. She looked broken, her eyes and nose were puffy from crying. Once you were all in the kitchen, you noticed two empty bottles of wine. It was the middle of the day, she was supposed to be at work. Peggy took her glass of wine and tried to hide it behind a box of cereal.

"She's drinking wine in the middle of the afternoon," you remarked and Bucky pressed his lips into a thin line. He slightly nodded, letting you know he noticed too without drawing attention to himself.

"What can I do for you, Detective?" She sat down at the kitchen table, fixing her hair.

Bucky took a seat on the opposite side of Peggy and discreetly moved the chair next to him. You thanked him as you sat down.

"In your statement, you said you saw the car turn left onto Linden Boulevard. Do you remember anything else?"

"Not really," Peggy replied with a forlorn look on her face. "Like I said, I was on the phone with her, she was crossing the road when... Excuse me." She closed her eyes shut and pressed her lips together to stop her chin from quivering.

"Take your time," Bucky said with a gentle smile and turned his head to look at you.

Your eyes watered as you watched Peggy struggle to fight back her tears. She was such a strong woman, you couldn't stand to see her cry.