All But One

McQuillen still hadn't spoken, even as I gave the Hollingberrys hugs and thanks. I saw him, just sitting there, looking off at a certain spot on the floor thinking hard. I didn't like it.

 "Mr. McQuillen?" I asked. His eyes rose to mine. 

"May I speak with you, please?" I held out my hand to him. He looked at it and got up on his own. Fine then. 

 I lead the way out and across the entry hall to where the Hollingberrys wouldn't easily hear us talking. "You haven't answered." 

 He ran a hand over his face. "What was the question?" 

 "I asked you all to not say anything. To anyone. Can you do that? Please?" 

 "Fine. I will tell no one of this. But that does not solve your problem."

 I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

 "You are obviously not of this time. And the more people notice that, the more you will risk being found out. Which is apparently not what you want." I looked down. 

 "Apparently?! Of course it's not what I want. When people figure out I'm from two hundred fricking years into the future, they're going to be asking me questions about what happened in the time between now and then. I've seen enough time-travel movies to know that crap does NOT fly! Oh my God, I shouldn't even be telling you this. Now you know what pictures are and I just mentioned movies and......" Another wave of coughs broke over me and I stumbled to the wall for support.  

 He put an arm around me and stood me upright too fast. I would have pushed him away, but the help was needed as he guided me up the stairs back to my room.  "Just to let you know, I am not normally in need of male help. At all. So don't get all sexist with me a'ight?" 

 He made a strange sound, like a choked-off chuckle as we reached the door. He opened it and brought me to the bed. "You should lie down, your things will be brought back up." I looked up to his face quickly, catching the slightest glimpse of a smile. He noticed and instantly reverted back to the normal stony expression. He turned to leave but I called after him. "McQuillen."

 "Yes?" He remained  facing away. 

 "Will you help me? You know, to blend?" 

 He turned his head over his shoulder a little. "Perhaps." He walked out and I fell back into the pillows with a whoosh. The thought crossed my mind just before I fell asleep......He did have a nice smile..........

                                                                                        ~*~

 I had forgotten the dream, but the jerking motion that awoke me was familiar. It begins with me just walking, minding my own business when I trip and fall, then gasping for air in the bed, grabbing at the blankets for help through violent coughs. I wiped the tears from my face and with my eyes still closed,  reached for the bowl of ricolas sitting on my nightstand. There was nothing  there. Not even a nightstand. 

 A warm hand touched mine, it felt cold in comparison to my skin. I grabbed it when another wave  of shakes came over me. I opened my eyes and the cloudy-lit room wasn't mine. Swimming through the tears still in my eyes, I searched for the bearer of the calming hand. 

  "Calm yourself, breathe...." It was Liza's voice. I rolled over away from the window and opened my eyes to her sitting in a chair with a knitted work in progress on her lap and a basket of yarn and fabric. She pried my hand off her wrist, with a kind smile and tugged on a tassel next to my bed a couple times.  She sat back down and picked up her yarnwork again.