That Night

‼‼WARNING: MENTIONS OF MICHELLE ‼ A LOT OF MICHELLE‼🤢🤮 

Benny's POV

Halloween Bash, October 31, 1963

The moment that we walked through the gymnasium's doors we had split up. Or at least I had silently removed myself. Last I saw, Y/n was fixing up Squints, so he could go over to - who I'm assuming- Wendy. 

I started to weave my way through the kids on the dance floor looking for my date. As much as I really wanted to go to the dance with Michelle, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt. I know that my friends don't like her, but I really do. If they are my friends they can accept that because my happiness should mean something to them. At least that's what I keep telling myself, even though I don't really believe it. 

"Benny!" 

I turn around to see her in a light blue dress with yellow lining and white heels. She looks beautiful. 

"Wow."

I muttered. I saw her blush even through the dim lights of the gym. She walked towards me and I hugged her with a little spin. We've seen each other a couple of times, but we've had to keep it on the low because of my friends. Her friends however know all about it, I don't really mind though.  It's kind of nice actually like we are going steady but we're not. 

A slow song comes on just as I set her down and we pull each other close. She puts her arms around my neck and I put mine on her waist. We start swaying to the rhythm of the song. Michelle put her head on my chest and I pull her even closer. We stayed like this until the song ended and we pulled apart. We just stood there smiling and looking into each other's eyes. At this moment I started believing myself. My friends should be happy for me. I found someone who makes me happy and I want people to know.  I was about to tell her when something behind me caught her attention. 

"I'm sorry, but I need to use the restroom. Excuse me." 

"Yeah, yeah of course." 

She smiles lightly and walks away towards the bathrooms. I just sigh and smile to myself. I lightly punch the air before gaining my composure again and waiting for Michelle. 

Soon enough I see her and her friends exit the bathroom with smiles. I wonder if they were talking about me. NO BENNY that would be crazy. But she could've been. Oh shut up it doesn't even matter. She walks over to me and grabs my hand and pulls me deeper into the swarm of teenagers dancing. 

"Michelle?"

"Yes, Benny."

 God, how I get butterflies when she says my name. 

"I have something to tell you." 

I say seriously. I see her stiffen a bit and she looks right into my eyes. 

"Benny you're making me worried. What is it?" 

"Do you want to go steady?" 

She lets out a visible breath of relief and I can see her relax. 

"Yes! Yes! Benny, thousand times yes!" 

She jumps into my arms and nuzzles her face into the small of my neck.  I smile and kiss her on the head. I let her down and just study her. Every feature of her face, every curve, and every ringlet on her head. I'm mesmerized. I'm about to lean down and kiss her when we hear a bunch of commotion from the back of the gym. I can't see anything but I hear the doors open and close harshly.  I turn back to her to catch her already looking at me. I smirk and lean down to her ear.