Chapter VI: The Bullet

Augustine had to wake Karma up for their mission the next morning. The morning was brisk and cold, but the sun was shining down on them. By the time Karma and Augustine had left, nobody was awake. They walked over to the shore, which was nobody's territory. It was quiet, a little too quiet for Karma. Augustine had on a crossbody bag, a small bomb in it. They watched the sun rise as they waited for the boat to arrive and pick them up. At last, a boat pulled up to the shore. Karma and Augustine boarded the boat and they were off to Civil Island. As they were sailing to the island, Augustine looked down to the flowing water.
     "I bet that water's freezing," said Augustine. The sailor nodded, looking straight ahead.
     "Don't put your fingers in it to find out," said the sailor.
     "I wasn't planning on it," replied Augustine.
"The water is so cold, I wouldn't doubt there'd be ice floating in it along the way," said the sailor. "I'll go around them, don't worry."
"You'd better," said Augustine. Karma looked off into the distance, seeing the rising sun reflecting orange light off of the cold water of the lake. It was as if they were the only ones left, sailing away to a better reality. The sailor looked behind him to the two soldiers, his face friendly-looking.
"Ever since I was little, I've wanted to join the Soldier Section! But, as you can see, I ended up being a sailor. Can you guys tell me what it's like?"
"Well," said Augustine, "it can be stressful, but you learn to have fun. But don't take that as being in the Soldier Section is all fun and games, it's been very traumatic seeing some of the people I trusted and relied on die."
The sailor looked over to Karma with a friendly smile.
"You haven't talked this whole time, Captain Karma. Do you have an opinion on the Soldier Section?" Asked the sailor. Karma sighed and looked over to the sailor, his eyes fixed on his friendly-looking eyes. The sailor's smile slowly faded, thinking he had upset Karma somehow.
"I wish I could retire," said Karma, his voice low. "I could focus on more important things."
"Karma," said Augustine sharply. "There's nothing more important than serving your city and protecting its people."
The sailor looked from Augustine to Karma, concern on his face.
"To you," growled Karma.
"Karma," lowly muttered Augustine. "We are not having this conversation now."
"I'm sorry," sighed Karma as he looked back over to the glowing water.
"Excuse him," Augustine told the sailor.
The sailor smiled and nodded his head.
"I understand. So are you guys friends?" Asked the sailor.
"Yep, we met several years ago and we've been best friends ever since," happily said Augustine.
"That's awesome. It's so great that you guys have been friends for so long," said the sailor.
"Yeah, we've been able to tolerate each other," laughed Augustine. "Well I've been able to tolerate Karma, at least."
"Hilarious," Karma sarcastically grumbled.
"I was just joking. You're a good friend, Karma," said Augustine.
"Mhm," Karma grunted. The sailor looked ahead and sighed, squinting his eyes to shield them from the sun.
"We'll arrive momentarily," said the sailor.
"Thank you," said Augustine. The sailor smiled and gave them a nod, still looking ahead at the calm water. Augustine looked over to Karma, feeling guilt for upsetting him in front of the sailor. Augustine reached out his hand and kindly placed it on Karma's shoulder, but Karma shifted his shoulder, letting Augustine know that he didn't want to be bothered. Augustine smirked and grabbed both of Karma's shoulders, and to Augustine's surprise, Karma had no reaction. "I knew you'd forgive me," Augustine told Karma, a big smile on his face. Karma sighed, dropping his tense shoulders.
"I can't wait until we reach the island," grumbled Karma. Augustine knew he couldn't blame Karma for how he was acting. He knew Karma had to be stressed, both over the war and Nash and Dima. Augustine didn't know how to talk to Karma anymore. What could he possibly say that Karma wouldn't get irritated over? He released Karma's shoulders. He didn't know how to talk to his best friend anymore, what a shame, he thought. Was it his fault Karma was this way? If he would've just let Karma kill Nash and Dima, would Karma be happier? Augustine then knew exactly what to talk to Karma about.
"After we plant the bomb, our next objective will be killing Nash and Dima. We don't even have to focus on anything else other than killing them, we don't have to stop until they're dead," Augustine told Karma. Augustine smiled internally as Karma slowly faced him.
"You don't have to help me kill them, y'know," mumbled Karma, his clear eyes now fixed on his commander.
"I know. Are you against me helping you?"
"No—no, if you really want to help me, go ahead."
"I'm the one who stopped you from killing them in the first place, I feel it's only right if I helped you."
"Well, thank you, Augustine."
"No problem."
A happy silence was held between the two, until Augustine started to talk again.
"Also, when this war is officially said and done, we can have a big party," said Augustine. Karma jerked his head over to Augustine. "We can invite a whole bunch of people, and we can get super drunk. Drunk enough to the point where we'll need help walking home."
Karma slowly moved his head back over to the water, squinting his eyes and nodding.
"Yeah, that sounds nice," mumbled Karma. Augustine smiled and looked at the floor of the boat. Augustine felt he was lucky to have a close friend, a close enough friend that whatever stupid thing Augustine did, they would always forgive him. Even though stress had made both Augustine and Karma more aggressive and sensitive than usual, they always found peace in having a nice conversation with each other, a conversation that would take them back to simpler times.
The boat came up to the shore of Civil Island, and the sailor helped them off the boat. Augustine and Karma looked back to the sailor when they disembarked the boat, a kind and thankful smile on Augustine's face.
"Good luck, soldiers," cheered the sailor.
"Thank you," called Augustine. As the boat started to sail back to Shippendale, Augustine and Karma walked into the forest and towards Sightburgh. As they sneaked through the forest, Augustine kept his hand on the bag with the bomb inside. This forest wasn't as dense as the forest in Shippendale. It was brighter and it was way easier to walk through, but it was easier for them to be spotted as they hid in the thin bushes and weeds. Both Augustine and Karma flattened themselves against the ground when a few soldiers marched through the forest nearby, heading for the water so they could take a boat to the battlefield. Once they could confirm the soldiers had disappeared, they kept moving, even quicker this time. As they were quickly moving through the jagged bushes and brush, Karma's sweater got snagged by a rogue branch sticking out of a bush.
"Augustine," hissed Karma. Augustine halted and looked behind his shoulder to see Karma struggling to get the branch out of his sweater. Augustine swiftly worked his way over to Karma, grabbing the sleeve of his sweater and quickly trying to free him. Augustine managed to free Karma and they started moving again. They didn't get very far until Augustine's ankle was wrapped with a rope and he was hung upside down by a tree. Karma grunted, jumping back. The bag with the bomb in it fell to the ground.
"Quick, hand me your knife!" Augustine urged Karma. Karma slid his dagger out of its holster on his belt, but just as he was going to hand it to Augustine, a voice chimed behind them.
"You have to be kidding me," exclaimed the voice. Karma whipped his head around to see Nash. Dima was behind Nash, an evil smirk across his face.
"Karma!" Shouted Augustine, desperate to get Karma's attention. Karma looked over to Augustine, but quickly turned his head back over to his cousins.
"How did you know we were here," rasped Karma.
"We may or may not of saw you guys arrive, and then followed you ever since," admitted Nash. Karma growled, his eyes like flames at the sight of his cousins.
"Karma, just hurry up and give me the knife," loudly said Augustine.
"If you give him the knife, Karma, I'll shoot him right in the head," threatened Nash. Karma looked down to Nash's belt where he had a revolver in a small leather holster. "You fight us right here and now, and even then there's no promise you'll make it out alive."
"Karma, just run," shouted Augustine. Karma looked back over to Augustine and shook his head. He would never leave Augustine helpless, tied up by his ankle.
"So you're gonna fight?" Asked Nash, clenching his fists in excitement. Karma had other plans. Suddenly, Karma whipped out his dagger and flung it at the rope that was holding up Augustine. The dagger sliced the rope, letting Augustine fall to the ground. Both Augustine and Karma ran, Karma grabbing the bag with the bomb in it. Nash growled and angrily whipped his head over to Dima.
"You follow the commander, I got Karma," Nash told Dima. Dima gave his big brother a confident nod and raced after Augustine. Nash ran after Karma, his legs pushing off of the dry, cold earth.
Karma ran as fast as he could, but he was separated from Augustine. Karma gripped onto the strap of the bag tightly, focusing on his legs. He slowed down and pressed his back against a tree. He peered around the corner of the oak tree, seeing Nash checking through some bushes for him. All of a sudden, Nash glanced up to Karma. Karma quickly moved his head back, praying Nash didn't see him. All of a sudden, Nash stood in front of him, the barrel of the revolver the most evident thing to Karma. As Nash pointed the gun at his cousin, he grinned.
"Was that dagger the only thing you had to defend yourself? Too bad you lost it saving your friend," chuckled Nash. Karma gripped the strap of the bag even tighter, unknowing of what to do next. Karma could see Nash's finger slowly pressing down on the trigger of the gun. Was this really it? Would Karma really never get to go to the party Augustine promised? Would he die before he got drunk enough that someone had to carry him home? No. Right before the bullet reached Karma's head, someone tackled Karma to the ground, saving him. Karma slid across the rocky ground, feeling every shard his back scraped against. Karma opened his eyes to see Augustine overtop of him, his face evidently terrified. Karma heard Nash loudly growl and reload his revolver. Augustine hurriedly stood up and hoisted Karma up to his feet. By the time Nash had his revolver ready for another shot, Karma and Augustine were gone. Nash grunted, hitting the tree Karma was standing up against with a clenched fist.
Augustine dragged Karma over to a tree with bushes surrounding it. He propped Karma up against the tree and crouched down in front of him.
"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" Augustine asked Karma. Karma gave Augustine a look of pain as he shook his head.
"My back hurts so bad, I landed on a rock when you tackled me," Karma said through pain.
"Crap. I'm so sorry, man, I didn't mean for that to happen," pouted Augustine.
"I know. I can run, but not fast. Just leave me here," Karma uttered, his voice uneven. Augustine drew in his breath, feeling a lump in his throat.
"Never! Nash and Dima aren't even dead yet, you still have so many things to live for," protested Augustine painfully.
"If you take me, we both die. It's better if only one of us die," said Karma.
"No—"
"Take the bomb and head back to Shippendale. Tell them the mission is off," said Karma as he struggled to take off the crossbody bag. Augustine watched him in pain, letting tears form in his dark blue eyes.
"No, stop!" Cried Augustine. Karma managed to take the bag off of his body and slide it over Augustine's head so it hung around his neck. "Stop," cried Augustine once again. Suddenly, they both heard something beside them. They looked over to see Dima checking bushes nearby, and heading their way.
"You have your gun, right?" Karma asked. Augustine nodded, looking at the gun hooked to his belt. "Use your gun to shoot Dima. Do it now."
Augustine sniffled and took his gun out of its holster. He aimed at Dima's head, his hands shaking. Karma covered his ears and closed his tearful eyes. Augustine drew in his breath, painfully pulling the trigger. But, all that was heard was a small click. Augustine gasped, realizing the gun wasn't loaded. Karma opened his eyes and uncovered his ears, looking at Augustine in confusion.
"What're you waiting for?!" Asked Karma.
"It's not loaded!"
"Then load it!"
"I don't have any ammo!"
"Just leave, Augustine! I'm serious, leave me here!"
"No! I'm staying with you and I'm fighting, even if all I have is your dagger."
"My dagger? You picked it up?"
"Yeah, I figured we might need it."
"Augustine, give me that."
Augustine handed Karma his dagger in confusion. Karma started to unbuckle the straps on his stomach and untuck his sweater from his pants.
"What—what are you doing?" Asked Augustine. Karma ignored him as he lifted up his sweater to reveal a scar on his stomach, the scar from when he was shot by Nash and stabbed in the same wound by Keiko. Augustine watched in horror as Karma started to slice into his own stomach, right on the scar. "Karma! Stop!" Cried Augustine. Karma said nothing. Blood leaked down the sides of Karma's stomach and soaked the dry leaves underneath him. Augustine was at loss for words, he had no clue what this was all about. And then, Augustine was handed a bloody bullet. "What.." mumbled Augustine, looking from the bullet to Karma.
"Remember when I said they left the bullet in me?" Asked Karma, his words getting slurred. Augustine trembled. He did remember. "Just wipe it off and use it to shoot Dima."
     "Karma.. you can't reuse a bullet that's already been shot," slowly uttered Augustine.
     "Just use it!" Karma told him.
Augustine, not even knowing what emotion he was feeling anymore, wiped the blood off of the bullet with his shirt. He loaded the bullet into his revolver and once again, aimed at Dima's head. And just as Dima was going to look in the bushes they were hiding in, Augustine sent the bullet into his head. Dima fell over, dead. Augustine quickly drew his breath in, looking back over to Karma.
     "Why did that work?" Augustine wondered. Karma's blood started to puddle beside him, and his face was beginning to get pale. Augustine stuffed the revolver back into the holster and grabbed Karma.
"Augustine, no!" cried Karma. "Don't waste your time taking me!"
"Do you know how much I'll regret leaving you here? I'd rather us both die together than you die alone," stated Augustine. Karma said nothing, all he did was cling onto Augustine in fear of falling out of his arms. Augustine, with the main objective of getting back home, ran through the forest. As he ran, Augustine whispered to Karma, making sure he was still responsive.
"Does it hurt?" Whispered Augustine, swiftly working his way through the weeds.
"..No," sluggishly replied Karma.
"Karma, what's your favorite color?" At this point Augustine was doing anything he could trying to keep Karma conscious.
"Red.."
"That's a cool color, Karma..!" As Augustine was figuring where to go, he stopped asking questions.
"August..ine?" Karma mumbled slowly.
"I'm right here, buddy," replied Augustine in a panic.
"Will there be wine at the party?"
"If you want wine at the party, then there'll be wine at the party." Augustine started running towards what he saw as a way out of the forest. Augustine felt Karma's head go limp against his arm. "Karma?" ... There was no response. "Karma!"
Augustine ran out of the forest, only to be faced with the edge of a high cliff. Under the cliff was the water from the lake that connected Shippendale and Civil Island. Augustine grunted, knowing this was not the way home. But, when he turned around to head back into the forest, Nash stood with a gun in hand. Augustine clenched his jaw and stood his ground.
"Give Karma over and I won't hurt you," said Nash. Augustine looked at Nash with wide, terrified eyes.
"Never," rasped Augustine. Nash frowned and clenched his fists, gripping onto his gun tightly.
"He's dead anyway! And if he's not, might as well let me finish the job," said Nash. Augustine looked down to Karma, who had his eyes closed and his mouth slightly open. Blood from Karma's stomach soaked Augustine's shirt, but he didn't think much of it. But, even through Karma's vest, Augustine could see Karma's chest slowly heaving up and down.
"He's not dead! And as long as I'm with him, I'm gonna make sure it stays that way!" shouted Augustine.
"Fine, we'll do this the hard way," uttered Nash. Augustine watched as Nash reached for his gun, and the sudden reality hit his mind. He had to do something quickly if he wanted both him and Karma to make it out alive. There was only one option. It was risky, but it was their only hope for survival. Augustine started to back up until he felt the edge of the rocky cliff under his heel. Nash watched in shock as Augustine fell backwards off of the cliff.
Augustine fell a long way until he finally made contact with the water below. His head emerged from the water and he looked around, soon coming to the realization that Karma was not with him. He panicked and dove back under the water. He squinted his eyes, and through blurred vision he was able to make out Karma's figure in the green water. He could see Karma's dark hair flow like ribbons underwater and a trail of red Karma was leaving behind as he floated downwards. Augustine strongly swam towards him and scooped him up. He dragged Karma onto the sandy shore, a feeling of helplessness clouding over the feeling of hope he once had. Augustine put his hand on his forehead before looking down to Karma. Augustine slowly knelt down next to him as he didn't see his chest heaving anymore. It was true, Karma had stop breathing. Augustine clenched his jaw in anxiety and started doing the first thing that came to his mind: CPR. He pressed on Karma's chest with all if his might, trying to revive his breath. As soon as CPR alone wasn't working, Augustine leaned forward and did mouth-to-mouth CPR. Once he saw Karma's chest go up on the first try, he gave Karma a second breath. After another breath, Augustine went back to pressing on Karma's chest. Suddenly, Karma coughed and water spilled out of his mouth. Augustine gave a sigh of relief. Karma didn't even open his eyes before he lied back down in the sand and remained unconscious. But, he was now breathing. Augustine looked at the gashes on Karma's stomach, which were slowly starting to leak blood again.
"Karma, don't scare me like that," huffed Augustine. Augustine then exhaled, sitting down next to Karma. As Augustine examined the area, he saw a small rowboat down the shore. He quickly stood up. This was their way back home. Augustine picked up Karma, making even more water come out of his mouth. The water soaked Augustine's chest, but he was so focused on the rowboat that he didn't even care. He quickly walked over to the rowboat and lied Karma down with his head propped up against one of the seats. Augustine pushed the boat into the water and quickly boarded it. He sat down on one of the wooden seats and grabbed the paddles. Augustine directed the boat home-wards, and off they went.

     Shippendale's Camp

     Ronnie watched the moon rise. She was quite worried about her captain, considering he said he'd be back before noon. Now, the sky is beginning to darken and he still hasn't returned. She started thinking about the worst things possible that would've happened. What if she never got to see him again? The last conversation she had with him was an argument. The last thing she ever called him was a jerk. Ronnie sighed and walked into her team's tent, which she was standing right in front of. Her team was in there getting ready for bed. Rueben looked over to her with a look of concern.
     "Has he returned yet?" Asked Rueben. Ronnie slowly shook her head in defeat.
     "No," she replied, "he hasn't." Ronnie sat down on her cot.
     "I wonder what happened," questioned Rueben.
     "I've asked every commander of every section, and they all said he hasn't returned yet," said Ronnie.
     Isla looked over to her and sighed.
     "Maybe their boat didn't come in time. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet," said Isla. Ronnie looked over to her, wanting to feel hope but she just couldn't.
     "Let's hope they're okay," uttered Ronnie. Boris and Boo exchanged concerned glances.
     "And what do we do if they're not back by tomorrow morning?" Wondered Boris.
     "I'll sail to Sightburgh myself and find them," confidently said Ronnie.
     "But you're gonna wait until tomorrow morning, right?" Asked Boo, tired.
     "Yes. I need sleep," replied Ronnie.
     Isla yawned and lied down on her cot.
     "Let's just hope we wake up to Captain sleeping in his cot," mumbled Isla.
     "Let's hope," agreed Ronnie. Boo yawned and looked from Ronnie back to Boris.
     "He'll show up. Karma's not one to lose a battle to a bunch of amateurs," said Boo.
     "Anything could've happened, Boo. For all we know, his boat could've sank," replied Boris.
     "And? Karma is Shippendale's top captain, he won't even let a sinking boat take him down."
     "You have no clue what happened out there. Just because he's Shippendale's top captain doesn't mean he's immortal."
     "I'm just trying to think positively."
     "I understand, but I don't want you to be broken when it turns out Captain's dead."
     Ronnie whipped her head over to Boris.
     "Boris! He isn't dead, just a little late coming back," said Ronnie.
     "Sorry. He isn't dead. My mistake," uttered Boris. Ronnie sighed and fell back on her cot. She was beginning to stress over something that maybe wasn't worth stressing over. She knew she might not be able to sleep very well tonight, but she may just have a big day tomorrow if her captain didn't show up. As the candle flickered out, the soldiers went to sleep, but Ronnie stayed awake and stared at the ceiling of the tent. She couldn't sleep when she was lost in thought. She wanted answers, and she was getting eager. She wanted to know why her captain hasn't returned yet, and she wanted to know if he was all right. She knew that between Commander Augustine and Captain Karma, the two best soldiers in Shippendale, they could conquer anything, but she also worried they came across something that they were no match for. Ronnie turned over to her side and closed her eyes. Whether her captain was alive or dead, she needed some sleep. Answers will soon come to her, she just needed to be patient. Come tomorrow, the reasons should be revealed, the real reason why she was so stressed, or the reason why she shouldn't of been stressed in the first place. Many things crossed Ronnie's mind, but her thought about sleep overpowered them all. And soon, Ronnie was in a deep sleep, left with nothing other than her dreams.