19: I have to look after you

Everybody froze.

Nobody moved, nobody even breathed.

Peter slowly stood up straight and turned hesitantly to face his siblings, his heart pounding.

If this was any other situation, if he had just saved his brother from being poisoned he would hug him, but for the last four weeks Edmund had thought he was dead, and this time that probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

Peter glanced first at Susan, who was staring at him, eyes slightly wider than usual and mouth open, looking absolutely speechless.

He then turned to look at Lucy, who looked just as shocked as Susan, tears filling her eyes as she stared up at her big brother.

Then, Peter turned to Edmund, and his heart broke even more.

Edmund had gone as white as a sheet, and honestly looked like he'd seen a ghost. His mouth was open, his eyes were wide, and tears had filled his eyes, and he wasn't moving a muscle.

Peter sighed, and hesitantly sat down on the edge of the table. "I - I know." He murmured, keeping his voice quiet and ignoring the sudden urge to just crawl into his own bed and sleep. "I know it's a lot to take in, but, I'm not dead. I - Its a long story that im willing to explain, but - but I'm not dead."

The three continued staring at him for a while, before Lucy swallowed hard. "Peter?" She choked, voice barely above a whisper.

"Hey Lu." Peter murmered, making it a point to smile gently.

"You - you're not dead." She choked, shaking her head slowly back and forth.

Peter sighed. "No Lucy." He replied. "I'm not dead, as I said it's a very long story, but I'm-"

He was cut off when he was abruptly tackled in a hug, and quickly found Lucy sobbing into his shoulder, clinging to him as though she'd never let go.

Peter wrapped her arms tightly around his little sister, brining her over to sit in his lap and running his hand gently through her hair. "Oh Lu." He choked, tears filling his own eyes.

"I - I've missed you so much!" Lucy sobbed, voice choked as she tightened her grip around Peter's shoulders.

"I - I've missed you too." Peter whispered.

The two sat like this for a further minute, before Lucy pulled away. "H - how?!" She exclaimed, sounding somewhat scared.

Peter sighed. "I'll explain in a minute okay?" He said gently. "Just let me say hello to Susan and Ed, okay?"

Lucy nodded slowly and moved back onto the sofa, and no sooner had she done that, had Susan wrapped her arms around Peter.

"Please tell me this isn't a dream." She whispered in his ear as she felt his arms wrap around her shoulders.

Peter smiled gently and placed a kiss to the side of her head. "It's not a dream." He told her quietly. "I promise it's real, I'm alive."

Susan let out a quiet sob. "I'm glad." She murmured, before burying her face against his shoulder.

They sat like this for Aslan only knows how long, before they both hesitantly pulled away.

"I'll explain in a minute okay?" Peter said, getting nods from his sisters before he turned to Edmund.

Edmund hadn't moved since Peter had knocked the glass from his hand, and all in all he looked like he might throw up.

"Ed?" Peter murmured, reaching forward to grab Edmund's hand, but he flinched away as if burned. "Ed please." He choked. "I - I'm alive, this isn't a dream, this isn't in your head. I - I know the last four weeks haven't been the best, but I'm here now. I will explain everything I promise, but... I've missed you Ed."

Edmund took a deep breath, shaking his head. "You're - You're dead." He choked.

Peter sighed. "No, I'm not." He explained. "But there are some people that wanted you to believe I was, evil people Ed, well, more person. A person who also wanted to kill you."

Edmund blinked, swallowing hard and trembling slightly.

"Listen." Peter sighed. "I'm alive, I'm home, I promise this isn't in your head. Come on Ed, did you honestly think I'd leave you? I have to look after you don't I? Right? Please Eddy, I've missed you."

There was complete silence for ages, before Edmund broke down into sobs, squeezing his eyes shut as he cried.

Peter sighed and moved over to sit beside him, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and pulling him close.

Edmund turned and melted into Peter's embrace, burying his face against his older brothers chest and sobbing.

"Hey, shhh." Peter whispered, placing a kiss to the top of his head. "It's okay, you're alright, it's alright."

Edmund clung to him, his arms tight around Peter's waist. "P - Pete." He choked out suddenly.

Peter swallowed hard. "I'm alive." He said gently. "I promise, this isn't a dream, this is real."

Susan and Lucy watched in silence, before Lucy wrapped her arms around Peter's neck, Susan soon joining in the hug.

Whilst Peter still liked them joining, he kept his arms around Edmund, holding him close to his chest and whispering reassuringly in his ear.

Edmund continued sobbing for well over five minutes, before eventually starting to calm down, collapsing against Peter with a sigh.

"Shhhh, there you go." Peter soothed, placing another kiss to the top of his head. "It's okay."

Edmund took a deep, shaky breath before slowly pulling away, Susan and Lucy doing the same. "You - You've got some explaining to do." Edmund choked out.

Peter nodded and smiled gently, although he was by this point feeling extremely unwell.

"Maybe we should let you rest for a while." Susan said, clearly still in shock but clearly noticing he didn't look too good.

"I - I'm fine Susan." Peter lied. "I - I need to explain, I owe it to you lot."

Susan sighed but nodded anyway, pulling Lucy close as she waited for Peter to continue.

"Basically, the magic didn't work." Peter sighed. "I never died in the first place..."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡