Third Year: Chapter Four

The first month of school seemed to breeze by you. The first few weeks of the second month was no different. You were doing well... as well as a squib could do. Classes that required no magic at all you found yourself excelling in. Those that needed magic took more work still. But even then, none of your grades were bad. You had made friends, like Neville, as well as sitting firmly in two friend groups. Your first friend group was more like a group of older siblings. Cedric's friends had quickly adopted you. The older boy was doing well on his job at being an older brother. He actively made time at night to share a drink with you and Kreacher as well as helping with homework. Your second friend group was truly a group of friends.

The Golden Trio was now a known Golden Quartet. Gryffindor became used to seeing your yellow robes flutter about their common room. You were constantly walking arm in arm with Hermione, chatting with Harry, and playing chess with Ron. All of it was much to your cousin's dismay. But Draco never said anything to you directly. However, he didn't hesitate to let you know with looks that he disapproved of the friendship.

Balancing your cousin's pride with your friends' pride— especially Harry's— wasn't the easiest. You acted like you didn't know either one of them whenever they started arguing in the same room. They had learned to not include you, to not even bother asking.

Your professors were nice aside from Snape. Professor Lupin and Professor Sprout were your two favorites. Whenever you would accompany Harry to his after class lessons, Professor Lupin would let you stay and watch. He even offered chocolates from an alarmingly large stash he seemed to have hidden in the bottom left drawer of his desk. While Harry worked on advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts techniques, you studied. Every now and then, he would try to include and Lupin would encourage. You indulged them by trying a spell. And when it didn't work, you gave them a small smile, tucked your wand back into the waistband of your skirt, and continued to do homework while sucking on a chocolate.

"But, Professor—"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Potter. But that is final."

You heard the voices of Professor McGonagall and Harry. Harry came sulking into the castle to see you cuddling Padfoot while sitting on the steps. Without a word, he sat down next to you. His fingers scratched Padfoot between the eyes.

"Wait, why are you still here, (Y/N)?" Harry asked. "Shouldn't you be at Hogsmeade with the others before the Halloween feast?"

"Mr. Stapius forgot to sign my forms. He is a very forgetful man, bless him. So, it seems that we are both stuck here."

"Yeah," Harry said, dejectedly, before suddenly standing up.

He stuck out his hand. Shifting Padfoot to one hand, you took Harry's outstretched one and followed him to wherever he was leading you. The two of you worked your way through the quidditch equipment. Harry grabbed his broom that was resting there after a cleaning as well as one of the training brooms. You kept following the boy out of the barracks and to the quidditch field. Harry threw down the spare broom and set down his Nimbus 2000 gently.

"Have you ever ridden a broom?" he asked.

"How much magic are you going to make me go through before you realize I'm a squib?" you asked with a chuckle.

"Hermione was reading and began to go on about brooms. Apparently, there's some debate on if brooms are enchanted to fly or if it must come from magic of the person themselves. Brilliantly, it came about when a muggle accidentally started to levitate while cleaning."

"Harry, where are you going with this?"

"Well, if it is the first one— the enchanting— then what if I enchant the broom. You could still fly it."