Chapter 13

"Now what?" Heather asked, looking over at Riley expectantly.

"Shut up, I'm working on it." He hissed back to her under his breath.

Gill watched the exchange with rapt attention and watery blue eyes, but knew better than to intervene.

The three hybrids were crouched behind some bushes at the far end of the high school parking lot, unsure of how to proceed. Riley's tail twitched as he considered their options.

Only about a hour had passed since they skipped out of gym class. (No doubt Heather would give him hell for it later.) Everyone else was probably in third period, and it seemed pretty unlikely that someone would just conveniently wander into the parking lot.

They needed the help of a Shifter to break the collar around Gill's neck, who wouldn't rat them out afterwords. No matter how they looked at it, Gill was obviously not a human.

He has scales, for heaven's sake. Riley thought to himself. If he and Heather ask a werewolf to help them out, their cover as clueless humans could be compromised.

"Okay. So we just need a werewolf who can keep his maw shut about this. No problem." He concluded, mostly to himself.

"Are we supposed to just wait until a mute Shifter walks out of the school, looking to do good deeds?" Heather asked sarcastically. "In case you forgot, we're kinda short on time until the kid ends up medium rare."

"I'm not gonna lie, if that happens I might actually eat him."

"I don't like the food jokes." Gill frowned at the pair. "And I'm not actually a fish."

"Not completely." Riley pointed out. Gill pouted.

"There!" Heather ducked lower and pointed across the parking lot.

Just then, a familiar red head exited the building and started making his way across the lot, keys in hand.

That'll work. Riley grinned.

"So should we-" Heather cut off as she glanced over at Riley, only to find him already half way across the parking lot. "And he's gone. So much for teamwork."

"Playing hooky?"

The red headed Shifter turned away from his car at the sound of a voice behind him.

Riley recognized him as one of the wolves he had met while in town the other day, and had to wrack his brain for a moment to recall his name. "Ben, right?"

Ben scowled. "What's it to you?" He looked over Riley, taking in his gym clothes. "And why are you not in the gym?"

Riley shrugged. "So hey listen, I need a favor."

Ben's eyebrows raised at Riley's straight forwardness. "A favor?"

Riley nodded. "Yeah, a favor. And a secret. Okay, so like a favor plus a secret."

Ben looked at the hybrid like he had gone crazy. "Yeah, you lost me."

Riley sighed, running a hand over his face. "Okay, so like, I need a favor, and then I need you to keep it a secret."

"Why?" Ben narrowed his eyes. "And keep it a secret from who exactly?"

Riley rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest. "From your pack, of course. Who else?"

Ben stiffened, a low growl rumbling from his throat.

Riley waved his hand dismissively. "Yeah, yeah, the secret's out. Gasp! Now are you gonna do it or not?"