Chapter 23: Sacrifice

Rosalie opened the door to Evelyn's room where Vivian was rummaging through her luggage.

"What are you looking for?" Rosalie asked as she entered.

Vivian lifted her head looking Rosalie's direction. "Oh, um, nothing," she brushed off.

"Are you going to head to bed now?" Rosalie asked.

Vivian nodded. "I still need to brush my teeth," she replied.

Rosalie smoothed her hand over Vivian's golden hair. "Are you okay?" she asked carefully because she knew that Vivian was thinking about how Adrik had left tonight.

Vivian's green eyes looked up at her. "I'm fine," she said.

Rosalie probably would've believed it. But she knew the bond Vivian had with Adrik, and she definitely wasn't going to let Vivian be alone with her bottle of worries.

"Vivian, you can tell me how you truly feel," said Rosalie as she sat on the edge of the bed.

Vivian's eyes showed that she thought hard and long before she spoke; "Is he going to come back?" she had asked.

Rosalie flinched. "Of course, he will," she reassured.

Vivian wasn't convinced because the pup knew the hardships of a fight and the survival aspect of it too. Rosalie hated that Vivian was so well informed of the brutality that came with acts of violence or even a job, that required that skill Adrik and the rest of the pack had. Rosalie couldn't lie to ease Vivian's worries, instead she spoke the truth.

"He promised, Vivian," she confessed to her niece. "Adrik promised that he'd come back to us. So, we just have to believe in that."

Vivian's eyes softened then, like the promise was something she also strengthened her mind with. "Okay, aunt Rosa," she said.

Rosalie pinched her niece's cheek trying to lighten her mood. Thankfully, it worked. Vivian finally smiled with all her little teeth. "Now, brush your teeth and get into bed," she said. Vivian did as she was told before Rosalie left the bedroom.

She went back her room when she heard soft voices, that belonged to Ashley and Evelyn. Rosalie knew from the tone, that Ashley was having the same conversation that Rosalie just had with Vivian.

Rosalie couldn't pick up the words but something inside her didn't want to either. Rosalie didn't want to hear how Ashley reassured her own daughter about their father's return.

Quickly, Rosalie scurried off down the hall and went into the bedroom, closing the door behind her. She didn't want to show anyone else that she was anxious too about all this. Adrik and the rest of the pack members went to hunt down Aziel, which was a good thing because that sonofabitch deserved it. Except, there was a feeling of dread inside Rosalie that the pack members weren't safe. Something was off about this whole thing and this didn't sit well with her.

Rosalie flopped onto the bed and slumped back feeling the mattress shift with her weight. Silence engulfed her but it wasn't comforting, it had quite the opposite effect of tormenting her even further. The only thing that gave her the solace she seeked was the lingering scent of her mate. Adrik's fiery scent was all over the bed sheets, and she found herself taking deep and slow breathes of it all in. She needed to feel him and feel that he wasn't too far away from her.

A soft knock interrupted her though. Rosalie lifted off the bed and opened the door. Behind it was Ashley still in her dress and golden heels from today. She hadn't changed into pyjamas and Rosalie knew it was because Ashley wasn't in any way relaxed to wind down and sleep this off, which was exactly what Rosalie planned on doing.