Ch. 18 - Plotting A Midsummer Dream

"And I would like to think that this VK plan has been going very well."

Ben concluded his speech with a smile, and waited.

The microphones would begin to shove into his face any time, and Ben could see the periwinkle jacket begin to push through the crowd.

Three...

He beamed at the clicking cameras, the smile that he had cultivated through the years.

Two...

A purple head appeared at the doorway, green eyes confused at hair whipping wildly into the unsuspecting faces of the audience.

One...

Fairy Godmother had formed a flesh wall between the reporters and himself, and his eyes locked with hers.

Zero.

He pushed past the mob, sprinting across the room to her side, and a smile began to appear, spreading across her face when she realised what he was up to. Her hands, small in his, provided a strange warmth, and her peal of laughter melodious as they began to run from the press. This was something he had not been able to do with Audrey - for the princess had always been in dresses and heels, and had insisted on answering his press questions while placing a dozen kisses against every portion of skin she could locate on his face.

In the end, they only managed to get away because Mal had cheated; a circle of green had enveloped them, and Mal grinned at him, her fingers sparkling with the tinge of her magic, "Portals, Benny-boo. Did you really think that you could outrun those reporters?" "Worth a try." Ben smiled, moving closer to her, and Mal blushed as she found herself backed to the wall, "We still have to get to class. That was the only reason I was allowed out: to pick you up." "Like my mum." He teased, letting go of her as he straightened his shirt, "Except with magic, that you undoubtedly picked up its mastery from-" "Myself." Mal smiled at him, cutting him off, "And some advice from Lord Hades back in the past."

"See you after school?" Ben glanced down the corridor, in the opposite direction of her classroom, and Mal nodded, "In the open lunch fields. I promised Evie and Lonnie that we could have a picnic at one of the benches to discuss that literature assignment." "Without Jay and Carlos?" Ben frowned, but Mal shrugged, "Swords and Shields. Jay's been dragging Carlos into several sports clubs; I'm guessing they're probably off to some training again." "Ah." Ben smiled, "Alright then. Take care of yourself, yeah?"

She nodded, and he waited to see if she would initiate any gesture of affection.

But Mal only turned on her heel and left towards her classroom, leaving Ben feeling oddly empty and disappointed.

There was a big difference between Mal and Audrey, alright. He didn't miss the torrential rain of kisses on his cheeks, but...

He was starting to feel anxious now. They'd been dating for three months now, and yet...

She had not even kissed his cheek once, and even hugs had been occasional.

Does she really like me, or...

Are my feelings just one-sided?

...

"In my opinion, this is...no."

Mal tossed the script into Evie's arms, "Absolutely not. I do not care if this is some ancient English literature that will give extra points, Princess Blueberry." "Beggars can't be choosers. Remember that pact you made with Fairy G about your grades." Evie warned, shoving the script back at the girl, before she dropped her voice to a whisper, "Anything you wanted, Mal. This is our chance." "Excuse me? I have limits, and my limits cannot tolerate this...this absolute craziness!" Mal barked, out of pure horror, "No. Absolutely not. Have you even looked at the script yourself?" "At least you're not the one falling in love with a donkey's head." Lonnie reminded, gazing at her own version of the script, "Also, pretty sure Oberon and Titania were somewhere in your heritage line if they existed; fairy King and Queen? That sounds cool."