I Won't Follow

Chapter 2- I Won't Follow

Hydra Missive- Project Stork

February 13, 1986

Dr. List,

Your one success in the two years you have been operating is not looking promising. Either you produce more results or we will have to shut down the program. Project Stork was founded to create Super Soldiers at birth so that we could have a more malleable asset. One girl is not enough to see Hydra through to the next decade and beyond. There are other heads that would gladly sprout if yours were to be pruned. I did not put my own daughter in this program for it to fail.

Hail Hydra,

Alexander Pierce

Director

New York

Summer 2012

2 days prior

Steve let himself be swept away in the motions of his fists hitting the punching bag. His head hadn't been clear since he woke up two weeks ago in that awful hospital room. Finding out that he had been on ice for 70 years had been a real shock. It was still a shock. His brain wouldn't stop firing. He went down with the plane and woke up seventy years later in what felt like minutes. 

 Seventy years had passed in minutes and he didn't know how to move on from that. Didn't know if he ever could move on from that. Everything he thought that he knew was gone in a flash. No Peggy, no Bucky, no Commandos everything wiped away by time and he was still here. Everyone expected him to be over the fact that his best friend had died for him just weeks prior. They couldn't understand how he felt. He lost his best friend and the first dame to ever pay him the time of day and he didn't know what to do.

The bag finally gave way under the onslaught of his fists and his memories flying across the gym hitting the wall. Steve turned around and began to get the next one in his line ready to go. He wasn't ready to sleep yet, maybe not for hours.

Then from the doorway he heard a voice 

 "Trouble sleeping?"

Nick Fury, Director of Shield or so Steve had been told, began to walk towards him. Steve sighed. 

 "I slept for seventy years sir. I think I've had my fill."

Fist met the bag as he began the steady rhythm of punch after punch hoping to drive the thoughts away.

"Well then you should be out celebrating, seeing the world,"

Nick said as he began to casually stroll toward Steve folder in hand.

Steve looked up at him, a look of disbelief crossed his face before he could get his emotions under control. His mind flashed back to all of the memories that had been swirling through his head tonight. Bucky, Peggy, the plane crash, the fighting on the battlefield trying to eradicate Hydra. Steve began to walk away.

"When I went under the world was at war, I wake up and they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

"We made some mistakes along the way, some very recently."