ヾ‧ ᴀ ғᴀᴛᴇғᴜʟ ᴇɴᴄᴏᴜɴᴛᴇʀ

A gasp left your lips.

Before you stood the infamous sixth Fatui Harbinger, Scaramouche.

You had heard of the great astrologer Mona that he might be planning an ambush on the traveler or something of the sort. That was the message from the stars — though the Harbinger's motives remained unclear.

Nonetheless, you felt both honored and scared to be given the chance to meet a man as dangerous as him in person. Although he appeared to be of rather short stature, the energy he radiated was intimidating and heavy like the dark clouds before a disastrous storm.

You stood protectively in front of your friend; the traveler he seemed to be targeting. You gave him a dangerous glare, though he only seemed to be amused by your measly attempt to intimidate him. He only smirked as he raised a hand to adjust his big, round hat, a villain-like laugh escaping his lips. "You think that'll scare me away? Oh, you are such a fool." His gaze locked with yours, sending a shiver down your spine. Nonetheless, you tried to keep your calm in order not to appear as a complete weakling.

Whatever you were doing, you knew that fighting him was to be avoided at all costs — which was easier said than done. Knowing the ways of the Fatui, it would only be a matter of time until the traveler would be ambushed once again. It was the reason why you, as an apprentice and assistant of the astrologer Mona Megistus, agreed to protect the traveler with your life.

There was one problem though. You had no vision.

Fighting one of the eleven Harbingers without a vision seemed like an impossible task to you hence why you had kept your safety distance to him so far. Unfortunately, he seemed to have caught onto your intentions and dared to step closer, every inch making you feel more and more insecure.

"I will not let you harm the traveler", you spoke with a confident tone that faded right after the first word dropped from your lips. Your voice was, much like your body, trembling in fear. The grip around your wooden bow that you had pointed at the Harbinger to keep him away tightened. Perhaps running away was the better option after all?

Scaramouche clicked his tongue. You were only getting on his nerves now.

"Just give it up already", he suggested with an annoyed eyeroll, "you can't defeat me." It was true, there was no way you would be able to defeat him in the state you were in now. In this very moment, you realized what you had brought upon yourself — and it worsened your state of mind that had taken a lot of damage before.

You had been working hard, so that the gods would one day favor you with a vision. But that day never came. You had seeked the help of an astrologer even, one who could predict your future but to no avail. Although you had stayed by her side and had expanded your understanding of this world by watching and helping Mona work; it seemed as if none of this was worthy enough for you to receive a vision.

It was frustrating. And eventually, you came to accept the fact that you weren't meant to be a vision bearer.

Agreeing to protect the traveler who was targeted by Fatui Harbingers — perhaps you should have put more thought to it. But, selflessly as you were, couldn't decline for the life of a friend was worth protecting. Who knows, maybe you would have regretted it if you didn't lend the traveler a hand?

You gritted your teeth as you glared at the enemy in front of you. Give up? That word became nonexistent in your vocabulary. "I.. I will never give up", you spoke with new gained confidence. "I know, I am weak but if it's for the safety of a friend, I would put my life on the line!!!" You shot an arrow in his direction — but it missed its target.

Of course it did. You didn't expect to be able to land a hit on a Harbinger in the first place.

But that act of yours was the final straw for Scaramouche.

"You dare challenging me? Very well, I shall play along with your absolutely stupid games." The man shot towards you and you felt the regret making a fuss in your stomach. "Traveler, run!", you shouted as you stood in place, ready to take a hit from the angered Harbinger.

You could make out the footsteps of the traveler — a good sign. You were sure that Scaramouche would send out his underlings to chase after the traveler; but you were certain that it would be no act to deal with them. As long as the sixth Harbinger didn't get through to the traveler, you felt reassured. Although this day might be the last one with you as the traveler's protector.

"Why do you want to kill the traveler so badly, Fatui?", you tried to converse with the man in order to possibly distract him. "I have no reasons to tell you, loser", he huffed back as he charged at you with this dangerous look in his eyes that basically screamed "you're dead". You chose to run away for you felt intimidated by his cold gaze.

"Well then, can we make a deal? You won't lay a finger on the traveler and you can kill me instead. There is no use for someone as weak as me in this world so... End me instead!!"

"Get out of my way already."

Withing seconds, just like you wished, a moment of shock caught you before the world turned into a pitch black abyss in a flash.

A thunderbolt struck you out of existence.

━━━━━the end

━━━━━
the end.