Chapter 13

The rocks dug into his knees as Eros collapsed by Psyche's side.  He despaired that her trip into the Underworld had in the end proved fatal; his mother well could have decided on tasks she whole heartedly believed that Psyche would not survive.  His heart pounded in his chest so loudly that he could hear the beating in his ears as he checked to see if his beloved still breathed --and thanks be to Zeus that she did.  Whatever his mother had sent her into Hades' realm to get, it had simply caused her to fall into a deep sleep.  Next to her body he found an opened box.  The tower had given her every instruction except to not look inside the box; every mortal had a hint of Pandora in them, he knew, and she had let her curiosity get the best of her.  She should have called for Aphrodite as soon as she had set foot back in the land of the living.  Yet for some reason, she hadn't.  Had that been part of his mother's plan?

Eros pulled the box off the ground and pulled the sleep from her eyes, shutting it back inside the small container.  He breathed a sigh of relief when she moaned.  She was still in some danger; she would need a healer and quickly, but a hint of his mother's potion would help her until they reached Olympus.  He pulled an arrow out of his quiver and pricked her finger.  Her eyes opened briefly and a smile crossed her face.  As he slid the arrow back into the quiver, he returned the smile.  Eros set the box on her chest and picked her up.

His willed his wings to form and spread out behind him.  He flew back to Olympus.  He could hear his mother's voice as he circled Zeus' palace.  He came around to his mother's windows, landing on the ledge as Aphrodite turned her back to him.  Psyche came fully awake; with her so close to him, he could feel the beating of her heart.  "Eros," she whispered.  He smiled at her, as he set her down.  He stepped off the ledge into his mother's apartment and pivoted around to extend a hand towards Psyche.  She remained where she stood for an instant, blinking as she looked his outstretched hand.  After taking a deep breath, she took slid her fingers into the palm of his hand and hopped off the ledge.

"My lady mother," Eros said.  The goddess twirled around quickly; her eyes widened at the sight of his beloved standing next to him.  "The mortal princess has come to deliver what you sent her into the Underworld to retrieve for you."

Psyche stepped forward, curtseyed and extended the box for Aphrodite to take.  The goddess took the few short steps between them and snatched the box from his beloved's hands.  His mother snarled at her guest.  What task would she set Psyche to complete now?

"Do you think that surviving the Underworld makes you a worthy bride for my son, mortal?" Aphrodite demanded.  "He is much like Zeus with his wondering eye.  He'll tire of you almost as quickly as our beloved King tires of the mortals he beds.  Be gone from my sight, girl, until I call for you with the next task I wish you to complete."

His beloved said nothing; she simply curtseyed and kept her eyes firmly on the floor as the goddess pivoted around and stormed off to her bedchamber.  Eros came to her side and lifted her face up with a smile on his face.  He watched her lips curl up and her eyes sparkle.

"Come, beloved," he said.  "I fear that what my mother had you retrieve from the Underworld might have some lasting effect on you.  I wish for the god of healing to check you over."

Taking her by the hand, he led her through the palace to the rooms Asclepius used for healing.  The god was in the middle of instructing his new batch of students on how to preserve herbs they used in their craft when Eros and Psyche arrived at the god's door.  Asclepius dismissed his students to their studies at the sight of visitors; he listened to Eros describe what ailed his beloved.

"Fear not, Eros," the god told him.  "I can have an apprentice look over her while you wait."

The god of love smiled.  "Thank you.  If you don't mind, I'd like to leave her in your capable hands while I go speak with Father Zeus."

Asclepius returned the smile.  "Many of my students are mortal and would love to hear news of Hellas while she waits for your return."

Eros bowed and retreated from the rooms.  He headed straight to the great hall where Zeus could often be found when not wooing a mortal or one of the minor goddesses.  He found the King of the gods listening to his brother Poseidon recount one of his own love affairs.  As he passed the hearth, Hestia came to her feet and approached him.

"It pleases me to hear that you have healed from your injuries, young one," the goddess said.

"Thank you, my lady," he replied.  "I wish an audience with the King."

Hestia nodded and moved to her brothers' sides to announce Eros to the King.  Zeus came to his feet and motioned for Eros to follow him.  The god of the sky guided him to a corner of the hall where he could be seen by Hera should his wife pass through the palace but their conversation could be private.

"Speak," Zeus commanded.

Eros recounted his tale, much as he had when he had spoken to the spirit of the tower, but he added what he had overheard his mother said before he went in search of Psyche.  Zeus listened in silence, but Eros could tell by the look in the King's eyes that Zeus was thinking of something else on top of it.  The god of the sky would ask him for something in return for this courtesy, and no matter what was asked of him Eros would gladly pay it so he could keep his beloved by his side.

"I love her dearly, my lord King," Eros finished.  "I wish for my mother to stop the tormenting of my beloved and that I might spend the rest of my days at with Psyche my side."

"Your words are sweet," the god said.  "I will give you my consent in return for your assistance when I find a female, be she a goddess or a mortal."

Eros bowed and said, "I am yours to command."

Before Eros had raised his head, Zeus had left him in the corner and was calling for Hermes.  The trickster god was by the King's side by the time Eros had pivoted around.  He walked towards the gods as he heard Zeus command his son to call all the gods to an assembly.  A moment later Asclepius emerged with Psyche by his side.  Eros rushed to his beloved's side as he waited for the gods to join their King. 

Within minutes of the Zeus' command for the assembly, all the gods had arrived.  Even Hades had answered his brother's command, with Persephone at his side.  When the gods had all take their places, Zeus came to his feet.

"Lady Aphrodite," he bellowed.

The goddess of beauty rose from her chair, her eyes fixed on Psyche until she turned to face the King.  His mother's expression had undoubtedly changed.  Eros could almost see her smile from where he stood and his mother's back was to him.  He took a deep breath and waited for Zeus to speak once more.

"I command you to stop tormenting the mortal your son fancies," he told her and then waved her off.  The King of the gods did not wait for Aphrodite to return to her chair before he spoke again.  "I have given Eros my approval in wooing this mortal woman.  Princess Psyche approach me."

Psyche kept her eyes on the ground as she approached Zeus.  His cupbearer approached the sky god with a goblet that Zeus handed to Psyche.  "Drink this entire goblet of ambrosia," he ordered.  Zeus was granting Psyche the gift of immortality!  Psyche obeyed.  When she was done, Zeus bellowed out one more command.  "I command a wedding feast be prepared!"

At dawn the following day, Eros guided his wife, his beloved Psyche, to their apartment.  They had an eternity together now without him having to hide her away from his mother's gaze or hiding his face from her.