Sixteen

The one thing that my parents kept repeating over and over again while I was away was 'to not come back until I was positive that was where I needed to be' and I know I'm ready to be back home. But I don't know if I'm ready for all that entails. I thanked the man bringing in my bags and Rose walked into the room with a smile. "Miss Lena! You're back!" Rose cheered, hugging me and I smiled.

"Yes, and I am starving." I stated.

"I make your favorite." Rose walked out of the room and I let out a deep breath. I feel like I have a million things to do and no way to get them all done.

After doing my best to calm myself down, I left my room heading towards the table. "You're back!" I heard Serena and turned around to look at her.

I smiled, hugging her. "I'm so happy to be back. No matter what I'm going through, I love being in the city and no one is going to take that from me. Now, tell me what incredible romantic plans you have for today." I don't think I've ever changed the topic so fast in my life.

"Oh, you know, just interviewing a 70-year-old avowed celibate woman for my 'All the reasons I hate Valentine's Day' column, and trying to figure out ways not to become her."

"That sounds like an absolutely awful Valentine's Day."

"They've all been pretty awful for the past few years. The last good one I had was in high school with--"

"Hey." I glanced behind me to see Dan and I looked back at Serena.

"Oh! You were about to say 'with him'." I stated and Serena didn't really say anything.

"I have to go." Serena stated, walking away and I looked over at Dan.

"I heard you were back, and I suspected you might not have any big plans tonight, so I thought I would, uh, drop off some movies." Dan handed me a black binder of DVDs. "I could come back and watch them with you."

"That is sweet, but I actually already have plans to go back on the radar, which you should, too. You should go out with someone. Have fun."

Dan chuckled. "If only it were that easy. I don't think I've had a real date on Valentine's Day since, uh, since high school with well, Serena." Oh, I see a problem. "I've gotta go meet Alessandra at Fig & Olive to discuss my next opus, so have a nice night."

"You, too, Dan." I waited for him to leave. Two people with the same problem and a problem that I can fix. "Rose!" I called out and she walked over to me. "I am suddenly feeling inspired."

"And what that mean exactly?" She looked slightly worried.

"It means that I will do everything in my power to get Dan and Serena back together." I stated and for the first time in a long time, I actually feel excited. This is exactly what I need.

I may have made a couple of calls but I got Dan and Serena to sit together. Next was the waiter to offer them free glasses of Dom. Then the free desserts. And the appearance of an old in love couple right in eyesight. I'm a genius. "Step one is accomplished." I smiled.

"The thaw has begun. Like beautiful spring." Rose agreed and I nodded.

"Now on to step two." I got up with Rose leaving the restaurant. I swear I could make a job out of this. Before they know it, Dan and Serena will be head over heels all over again.

Rose and I went back to my bedroom to find myself a dress for tonight. I swear red in any dress is always my color. "It's too bad it's not Valentine's Day more than once a year. I could really make a serious go at this whole Cupid thing." I stated, laying one of my dresses down on my bed.