0. What they were until they are not

Error looks at Ink, the skeleton he had spent so much time getting to know. That was also whom the Glitchy skeleton had given his love to.

"Error, you're staring again." Ink chimes with as much of a genuene smile as he could give.

"O-oh, sorry, didn't realize." Error mumbles.

Ink steps close and gently pecks Error with a swift kiss before his excitement could ruin it. Error's cheeks go a royal blue.

"Fate might kill us for becoming partners." Error mumbles.

"And I can't be bothered to care about their tantrums." Ink says, pressing their foreheads together.

"I know. This place will probably go stagnant, and people will miss you if you come with me."

"They really probably wouldn't. I'm not very good at the whole... Being an inspiration." Ink laughs dryly.

"You can be so dense, Ki-ki. They adore you. You are the reason they exist and have lives."

Ink giggles softly. "You always know what to say, Ruru."

Error smiles and strokes Ink's stained cheekbone. The smaller pressed his face into Error's hand. They stay there, under the stars for a time, almost as if they were just star gazing.

Error sighs looking down into the darkness below them. Ink looks at him then follows his gaze.

"Already time...?" Ink asks. Error holds Ink's hand tight.

"Yeah... It's time... Ready for this, Ki-ki...?"

"Not at all... What about you, Ruru...?"

"Not entirely, but I'll be fine. We'll both be fine now." Error says softly.

Ink hugs Error tight, "Then let's do this."

Error nods, holds Ink close, and falls back into the darkness.

----

Destiny holds out their hands, catching the pair. They pet both of their skulls with a thumb.

"They've arrived?" A soft voice asks.

"They have."

"Good. Then we can give them the proposition."

Destiny nods. Both take the unconscious skeletons to a white space much like the Anti-Void.

--------

Error wakes up slowly, arms tightening around Ink.

Ink follows soon after, sitting up.

"Good morning you two."

Both skeletons look to the large beings. Ink waves while Error holds Ink close.

"Worry not. We mean you no harm."

"What..."

"Would you both like a second chance?"

"What do you mean by that?" Ink asks.

"Would you like to be able to start again, free from Fate." 

"Are you planning on separating us?" Error asks, holding his significant other closer.

"No. I'm not like Fate. I wouldn't part two lovers from each other. But I will give you both the chance to live, and to fall for one another all over again, If you accept."

"What would-"

"You would play as the guardians of the Tree of feelings. My tree. you two would have a life you deserve, and the soul you need and desire." The deity explains. "But it is your desition."

"How would we get that...?" Ink asks.

"These-" They open their hands to show two small balls of energy. "Are the tickets, a soul, a new life."

Error glances at Ink. "We accept."

Ink looks at the taller. He'd never sounded more confident in a choice since his confession.

"Ki-ki deserves it more, after all he's done and gone through.

The deity smiles  and holds the flames closer to the pair, "Then let us celebrate your new birthday and a new life of freedom.

-----

Sitting underneath a tree full of applesthe glinted in the sunlight, rests two children, clutching each other tight. 

Curious Villagers gathered at the tree, distracted from their original goal. They are in the presence of their guardians.

The guardians that protected joy and sadness, and everything in between. And so they called the two siblings and left to continue their daily rituals as the two sleep.

{608 words}