Life

Year: 2031

Eleanor Lopez stared at the trajectory mapping screen. The scientists in CORDS had been working on this project for years, where they would launch a large metal system into space that would channel inoperative space hardware into an area where it was bound to re-enter the atmosphere and fall into a specially-made reservoir on Earth. The metal channeling system had a built-in rocket, such that it could fly into space and dock into the ISS, which was also well prepared for the operation. After, the channeling system would re-fuel at the ISS, whilst also using it's large internal battery to channel the debris. Then it would use it's remaining fuel to fly back to Earth, and dock in at CORDS for refurbishing for future use. 

So far, according to the map, everything was going perfectly.

Eleanor's main role was to watch out for breaches and check the current trajectory of the system to make sure that it didn't jump off course somehow. 

Suddenly, Eleanor noticed that the channeling mode had activated early. The scientists hadn't thought of this, so it was built in a curved manner, not with a straight body. At ISS, the module was to fit around a very strong titanium sheet like a paperclip, with the fuselage on one side and the fan on the other. The channeling fan was cutting into the fuselage now, because of this. 

"Fuel leakage... this is bad."

Without hesitation, Eleanor pressed the emergency call button. Within a minute, an admin was present. Eleanor explained everything to him, and he nodded, fully understanding the situation. 

"Check the trajectory fully."

"Right. It's heading for ISS... it has enough fuel to reach there on hybrid mode."

"Activate hybrid mode then!"

"It's going too fast on hybrid mode! It's going to crash into ISS badly!"

"Radio ISS! All of them must escape in pods now!"

"This is CORDS Mission Control to ISS. Evacuate all personnel immediately."

"Sir, I've calculated. The debris from the ISS crash may collide with the inoperative hardware. It'll head straight for America!" 

"The only way is to emergency stop the system. but there isn't any button!"

"There is." came a voice.

Everyone turned to the door.

"I feared this would happen with you lot." 

The CORDS Head of Operations pressed the button in his hand.

"Work on another system for retrieving debris... and this time make it work."