Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

A sergeant from the Monterey City Police Department entered the living room with Estella.

     “I'm Sergeant White. Are you Brian McMahon?” He stared at Brian.

     “Yes.”

     “You reported a fatality?”

     “Yes,” Brian said. He introduced Amanda and Rosa to the sergeant.

     “I am sorry for your loss. Where’s the deceased?” White asked.

     That word was so final. Amanda’s intake of breath caused the sergeant to glance at her. Estella joined Rosa on the sofa.

     “Upstairs. I can take you there,” Brian said.

     “Sure.” They both left the room. Amanda opened the glass bi-fold doors and went out onto the balcony. She sucked in the sea air to try to gain some strength to face what was ahead. Her mobile played the Pink Panther opening credits. “Hi, Anna.”

     “I’m awake now. You are made of stronger stuff than me. Hear me, Funny Face. You can get through this.”

     “The maid found her. We still don’t know anything. Why did this have to happen now? My mother’s on the floor upstairs. She’s been there since I rang you, lying on the cold tiles.”

     “You know that she can’t feel anything now.”

     Amanda felt tears slide down her cheeks. “Maybe I should get a blanket for her.”

     “Listen to me. You mother doesn’t need anything.”

     “We argued last night and now I can’t even make up with her.” She explained briefly what it was all about.

     “You weren’t to know. I’m sure she had her reasons.”

     “The guilt is eating me up.” She ignored the wetness on her cheeks.

     “You did what anyone would do. By the way, my bill for counseling is going to be huge.”

     “Thanks.” Amanda smiled for the first time today. “You’re the worst counselor I know.”

     “Ha, but I made you smile, didn’t I,” Anna said.

     “You did.” Amanda heard Brian’s voice. “Speak soon. Thanks for the support.” She called off, blew her nose, then returned to the living room as Sergeant White and Brian walked back in.

     “First of all, I need to establish who was home at the time the body…er the deceased was discovered,” the sergeant said.

     The body. No, thought Amanda as she sat on the sofa. “Her name is Jean Campbell. I would appreciate it if you could refer to her by that name.”

     “Sorry, ma’am. Now, who was here this morning?”

     Amanda crossed her legs, pulled her black jacket around her and folded her arms in anger. She wished she could tell the sergeant to go away. That it was all a mistake.

     “Rmm.” Brian cleared his throat. “There were five of us. The only one not here is Dorian.”

     “Where is he now?”

     “I don’t think any of us know where he went.” he glanced at Rosa and Estella.

     “No one?” the Sergeant asked.