Loves Tragic Tale

"Are you sure it's okay?" Elli asked, looking a little hesitant about the fact Roberto had escaped from the Villa just to see her. "How many times do I have to tell you not to worry about it? It's boring being cooped up in my office. I'd go crazy if I didn't get out once in awhile." Roberto said, assuring her it was okay and she shouldn't worry. But still, Elli couldn't shake the uneasiness she felt.

"Really? Alberto must be at his wits ends by now..." Elli sighed, her eyes wavering. "We've been doing it over a year now. He doesn't really mind. I'll finish up my work when I get back." Roberto clasped a hand on her shoulder, a smile on his face.

"Okay. Well, let's go find somewhere to eat." Elli said and the pair strolled off together. Roberto recommended an Italian restaurant he had just discovered through his royal duties.

"Wow, it has such a lovely atmosphere in here." Elli surveyed her surroundings, pleasantly happy with what she saw. It felt warm and cozy with its friendly atmosphere and such lovely decorations and beautiful scenery paintings that hung on the wall. "I'm glad you like it." Roberto grinned and they were both shown to a table.

Picking up their menus from the table, they began to browse through list. "Hmm, what do I want?" Roberto mumbled, focusing hard on his menu. Elli took her eyes off her menu for a moment to take a quick glance at his face. Seeing him look so serious, yet at the same time like a little kid, Elli couldn't stop her heart from skipping a beat.

A feeling had been growing inside of her lately but she couldn't accept it. He was a prince and she was but a commoner. It would never work. Elli wanted to distance herself from him, she wanted to rid those feelings growing inside of her but everytime she hears his voice and sees the smile on his face, she lost all self reason.

They both ordered their lunch and were in the middle of eating when Roberto spoke, "Mmm, it is reeeeally good. What do you think?" Elli seemed to be deep in thought when he spoke, his voice snapped her out of it, "Oh, Yes, It's delicious." She said with the best smile she could muster.

"Good. I don't know what I would have done if you hated it. I invited you here after all." He laughed before continuing, "There is something I've been meaning to ask you." He suddenly looked serious, making Elli feel nervous. "Y-Yes?" Elli waited with baited breath to hear what he had to ask.

"There's a dance coming up at Nobel Michael. I'd like you to accompany me as my partner."

"Oh..." Elli didn't know how to reply, her eyes darted around searchingly for answer as silence filled the air. "Elli...?" Roberto muttered her name and her head snapped up, "...I'm sorry. Are you sure someone like me should really be attending such a glamorous event when everyone in attendance is either from royalty or has some form of title to their name?"

"Are you still worried about that? Everyone already knows we are friends. Things might have been tough at first but we have overcome so much to get where we are. No one will mind if you attended the ball." Roberto said in a kind voice, trying his best to reassure her. "Still, It might look like everyone accepts our friendship but there still might be those who are against it. I really don't want to cause trouble for you or the royal family." Elli said, expressing just how she felt. Elli just wanted him to be happy and she didn't know if he could ever achieve that with her around.

"Elli... I don't care what anyone says. I love spending time with you. I won't throw that away just because someone might be against it. Just because I'm a prince I should be restricted from having friends?!" Roberto said in a raised voice, feeling slightly irritated, not with Elli but how caged in he felt being a prince.

"I-I'm sorry. You are right. I-I like spending time with you too." Elli said, she was still battling her feelings inside, it was like an eternal conflict and it was weighing her heart down. "Please, say you'll come?" Roberto asked once more and Elli hesitantly nodded her head. "Thank you. Trust me, everything will be okay. ...When I'm with you the loneliness I feel just melts away. I really am my happiest in your company..."  Roberto mumbled to himself so Elli wouldn't hear. He valued his time with her more than anything. When he's with her, Roberto felt like he could truly be himself, just a normal guy, not the prince to a whole kingdom.
.....